1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Need some help again

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by WynterNyghtmare, Nov 15, 2009.

1. WynterNyghtmare

WynterNyghtmare Thread Starter New Member

Okay, so I got a little bit of extra fish money today, and I was thinking of buying a school of maybe 10 tetras for my 125 display tank, but not sure which kind, I was thinking some black emperors, but I'm afraid that my EBJD, Veja Argentea, or the tire track eel might eat them when they get bigger, not really worried about my other fish hurting them cause none of their mouths will get big enough to eat them and they're slower than my EBJD, and Veja. but the emperors are about 1" and are selling at about 5 bucks a fish, so I don't want to spend 50 bucks on them and then them get eaten, and the only other tetra they have that get big enough are congo tetras but they are 10 dollars [cussing] so need some help.

I can keep the tetras in with my Convicts until they get bigger but by then my other fish will be as well so still have a problem.

Thank you

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

ummm...with a jack I wouldn't do tetras imo.

3. WynterNyghtmare

Hmm, well I've seem some full grown Black Emperors Tetras in with a Jaguar pair before believe it or not, I think that tank was a 300g though and they had all kinds of fast moving fish with them, what about the Congos could five of these dudes work, or maybe some other schooling fish else might work but nothing bigger than three or four inches, so I'm open to suggestions and can order online, just never really worked with smaller community fish just big Cichlids

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I've seen people get lucky with the strangest combos..not saying you absolutely can't...but I wouldn't invest alot into the experiment.

I know I've heard the ebjd are more docile than the standard jacks, but then I heard this guy at my lfs whining that his was eating it's tankmates. Ey, everyone has there own personality.

The Vieja Argentea I had to read up on (not familiar with most cichlids)....from what I got>>aggressive>>can be kept in pairs or singley>>also can be kept with kept with robust similar-sized Central and South American Cichlids>>gets really big @ 12".

That ebjd might have some problems! Lol.

What about a Bichir, Vieja Maculicauda, Paratilapia polleni, Salvini, Red Devil, Festivus, Bumble Bee Cichlid, Pearsei

Here's a link I found showing a picture and a tiny bit of info...must say it's a nice looking fish regardless. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/208653/i/7/product.web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/20 ... roduct.web</a>

5. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

you could also try firemouth cichlids-Thorichthys meeki (formerly Cichlasoma), they are from central america and get around 6-8 inches.

red devils can/are a very mean fish and dosen't "like to play well with others", very territoral and most likely end up being the only fish in the tank.
    if i'm thinking of the same bumble bee cichlid (unless there's another that has the same common name) - pseudotropheus crabro - it's an african cichlid.

6. WynterNyghtmare

I guess I could try and get some firemouth again, had one when I first started out keeping fish with my Cichlid community and quickly learned they don't get along with convicts to well lol, but I thought it was neat how when they flare their gills that they looked like a rooster, plus my lfs just got some tinfoil barbs in and I've seen them in a lot of tanks with cichlids, and they get another shipment of fish on the 20th so I'll wait and see what comes in then, if nothing I think I'll check out the Paratilapia polleni that Dawn suggested, (Very pretty, by the way) but I kind of want to shy away from more cichlids until I get another big tank. still open to suggestions though

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yea, it's african-Lake Malawi...but researching the v. Others have said it has worked believe it or not.
    Africa - Lake Malawi
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.tropicalfish4u.co.uk/Fish/Freshwater/AfricanCichlids/MalawianCichlids/BumbleBeeCichlid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tropicalfish4u.co.uk/Fish/Fr ... BeeCichlid</a>

8. WynterNyghtmare

That pic you found Dawn does these fish very little, and mine is not agressive at all, he even hangs out with the EBJD almost like a pair would, imho I think the Veja Argentea are one of the most beautiful big cichlids I've seen, you should check youtube for them to get a nice look, there's a show Veja Argentea on there, and OMG it's stunning I'm very jealous of it, Also I wanted to ask you a question about ThatPetPlace... Do they have a actual store like elmers or are they solely internet based co? Because I had planned a trip up to PA in Feb to go to Elmers and there, and I'm not sure they have a store or not.

9. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

i had put a melanochromis interruptus in with my oscars & jd for about 4 months because he was being such a terror towards the other africans.

10. MonteSS

MonteSS New Member

V Argentea is one of the most beautiful Cichlid. Unfortunately one of the meanest. They get 12-14" They are known to kill their mates, Dovii, Jags, and Red Devils.

Not sure that EBJD will stand a chance.

As for dither, you can try Silver Dollars or similar larger species.

<a class="postlink" href="http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Tetras,%20Larger%20Tetras.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Tetras,%20L ... Tetras.htm</a>

...Bill

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

As far as I know there isn't a brick and mortar store for thatpetplace?
    But I'd call them and double check
    Phone/Fax Numbers

Phone Number: 888-842-8738
    (Toll free in the United States and
    Canada otherwise contact us by
    calling 717-299-5691)
    For Orders or Inquiries
    Monday - Friday (8am - 9pm)
    Saturday (9am - 9pm)
    Sunday (11am - 5pm)

As far as Elmers,
    you're probably gonna be disappointed...imho they are going down hill :cry:
    The last 3 or 4 times I ran in most of the tanks were either being treated (ich/whatnot) or had something dead in there which made me shy away...and yes I understand that you'll have dead fish here and there, but if you looking for good money you should at least remove them!

Just recently I went to Oddball Pets & Aquariums and was pleasantly suprised. Yes, it looks like a large garage on the outside (which I still think it is), but on the inside they have a descent bit of tanks and everything in them looks REALLY good. The owners (Dave & Stephanie) are great, very friendly and more than willing to test you water for free which is nice if you want to make sure your kits are reading right. Also, they don't "push" products on you and are ready to listen if your having any tank issues.

Also, I wish I had the room because they are having a great tank sale:
    Spend $50 and purchase a 20H or 20L for $20.00
    Spend $75 and purchase a 29 for $29.00
    Spend $100 and purchase a 75 for $75.00!!
    I've spent more than that ($100) but don't have room for any tanks...so if you need one just pm me and I can get whatever size you need for the prices above. ;)
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.oddballpets.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.oddballpets.com/</a>
    262 Joseph St
    Pittsburgh, PA 15227
    (412) 884-2333

12. WynterNyghtmare

Thanks, Dawn I'll have to check them out, I think I remember reading about you saying some good stuff about them, anyway I'll google map it and see how far it is.

I'll also have to keep an eye on Dots (My Vieja Argentea) He may just be wearing a I'm not bad mask for now lol, he's one of my leftovers from my big cichlid days, and I refused to get rid of him when I sold the rest, so Thanks for posting the tank sale's, that's a deal you don't find down here very often.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Oh your welcome! And here ya go for the directions--> <a class="postlink" href="http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGIH_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=0,0,5275907122155008922&fb=1&hq=oddball+pets+%26+aquariums&hnear=Pittsburgh,+PA&gl=us&daddr=262+Joseph+St,+Pittsburgh,+PA+15227&geocode=5789387665502703914,40.394189,-79.968417&ei=uNQDS6S3E4umnQetz-hj&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=directions-to&resnum=1&ved=0CAoQngIwAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com.mic ... CAoQngIwAA</a>

I wouldn't panic, but I'd defin keep an eye on lil Dots :)

14. WynterNyghtmare

Decided to go back to Cichlids after trying community fish for awhile, I learned I enjoy big mean and loveable fish with personality more than small colorful fish, so I'm back on the darkside and lovin it lol

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

haha, no worries...I go back and forth alot too!
    This week is planted Discus Community tank. haha!

16. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I thought there was a store for that pet place in Lancaster, Pa.?

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I dunno, that's why I gave the phone number and said to call to make sure. Lol!