1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Neolamprologus similis

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by rexlinkfishguy, Mar 10, 2012.

1. rexlinkfishguy

rexlinkfishguy Thread Starter New Member

Hey guys I was kinda looking for some advice on a 55 gallon tank that I have I know I'm getting some simils and I think I have the scape down but I'm not really sure on some plants in there I know I want some plants in there and I know the fish will dig it up so does anyone have any advice?

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Plastic/artificial and weighing them down with a gravel base to keep them from rescaping it to their liking.
    With the heavy base you'd be able to pull them and clean them when/if needed and rearrange them when your bored with the decor.

PS. A nice sand base and some rockwork like holeyrock would look really good with them..and maybe a black or nice dark blue background to make them pop :)

3. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

I agree with dawn, but also don't forget a nice shell bed as well. The more shells the better with shell dwellers. My pair of brevis went from their original shell to maybe 2 or 3 other shells. They like to move around until they find the perfect one.

4. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Get Jave Fern attached to a rock or branch. I agree plenty of shells in the tank if you get a couple of males there will be fighting and stealing if not enough shells. Can you post a pic of the tank? That would help.

5. CichlidStorm

CichlidStorm Member

the Neo's are awesome to keep, and you can keep a killer colony in a tank of 15 gallons even, with 8-10 breedable pair...they do insanely well together, just keep their shells 4" apart in every direction, they will tend to stay with that area...very fun fish to have and watch.