1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Nerite Snails

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by jjsvt, Oct 14, 2010.

1. jjsvt

jjsvt Thread Starter New Member

Are Nerite Snails also known as Bumble Bee Snails? Do they have spines on their shells and are they intended for fresh, brackish or salt? I had some and they didn't thrive. I would like more, but; would like to know more about them.
    Thanks

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Some of them have spines on their shells, look at some of the corona species, clithion coronas are really pretty. They can be kept in almost full salinity water and survive and thrive in fresh as well. I have never had any luck keeping them alive either so don't feel alone. Here's a link to someone that is selling quite a variety of them
    http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/store ... Path=25_27

3. jjsvt

Thanks HBIC. The Clithione Corona snails are what I had. I was told that they would live and repro in fresh water. I guess not.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I've had no problem keeping them (nerite snails) in my freshwater tanks, despite having problems prior with other snails and their shells becoming weak.

Not sure, but maybe it's got something to do with my low pH or higher than avg water temps (pH 6.0 steady, and temps about 86F)?

My lil boogers are laying eggs EVERYWHERE, but I was told they need brackish water to actually hatch.

5. jjsvt

These guys were in a 76 degree Guppy Tank with PH adjusted with every water add. I have problems with snails "leaving home". They just crawl out and end up supper for somebody.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

<--glass canopys, with openings cut VERY tight for equipment so they can't run away. haha!

was reading this article that claims low Ph is a threat to them....I think no one told the snails I have about that.

7. jjsvt

No, I meant they leave their shells (home). ROFL.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

oh, haha! well leaving the shells home is never a good thing! lol!
    I know at the lfs I frequent the commons are $5 bucks a pop...so it's not a "cheap" little snail either.

9. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Nerites are actually a tidal species, they live their adults lives in freshwater but in able for them to reproduce the eggs need brackish as well as fresh water; therefore, they may lay eggs but they will not hatch.

10. jjsvt

No, they are not cheap and that is why I really got upset when they left their shells. What causes that to happen?? I have read several things that can cause it, but; in a fresh water/cooler water tank that is PH balanced, it would seem to eliminate the two main reasons that I am reading about. I have had Apple Snails do this too. They are about a month or so before vacating. The only ones that I do not seem to have trouble with are the tiny black snails that rode in on some plants. They may be doing it, but; they are so prolific and so small that I wouldn't notice.

Any ideas before I get my money out at the fish store again??

Thanks

11. jjsvt

Thanks HBIC. I am not going to try to reproduce until I can figure out how to keep them in their shells. Then I will ask about ratio of salts to water for reproductive quality brackish water. I just want some snails that aren't crawling nekkid on the side of my tank with their houses at the bottom. SIGH!

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Wow, I've never had that happen (leaving their shells)..but I've had shell "quality" issues.
    The only thing I can think of is their lacking food (algae/diatoms/etc)?

13. jjsvt

No shortage of forage. After I lost the snails, I had to use the tank magnet. ????????????

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

hmm..stumped me then.
    watch with those tank magnets that you don't trap substrate between them by going to low...leaves horrid scratches (I have mag-floats and use Tom Cleaning tool blade attachment too).

I know of at least 1 member that ruined their tank over catching a grain or two of sand between it (mag float).

15. jjsvt

YIKES!!! Thanks!!!!!!! I will be very careful.

16. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

I've got scratches in one of my tanks due to that =/
    Bugs me every time I look at them!!!! lol

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

18. jjsvt

I'm convinced and since my grandchildren use the mag, I am going to switch tools. Thanks everybody.

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Welcome :)
    Nothing worse than shelling out top dollar for a tank and having it scratched up.
    Unfortunately for me, it's my bulldogs that did the scratching on the front of my 90g...when they were pups they loved smacking the left corner with their paw to make the fish "move"....at that point the other one would try to snap at the glass as if to eat them. Of course, the fish would taunt them by lurking in large groups towards that corner...so no help there! LoL!

20. jjsvt

My cat is the only one interested in the fish. The Boston Terrier and Pom can't reach them. When I turn the lights on and say "Cat TV, Mamma", She comes and sits on the shelf and watches them eat at feeding time. She is too old to bat at them, I guess. My son is giving me his 90g and it is on a high wooden cabinet so I don't expect doggie problems then either. After I get that set up, I will be back in the snail business again. I do love the various kinds of snails, especially the Nerite.