1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Article never release non native specie into the wild

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by cooltow1, Oct 5, 2009.

1. cooltow1

cooltow1 Thread Starter Member

Here in Florida we are always trying to control some kind of non native specie

FLORIDA’S FRESHWATER EXOTIC FISHES

Nonnative Reptiles

APPLESNAILS IN FLORIDA

Because we do this alot the State of Alabama has ask for help with an Applesnail release in the Mobile-Tensaw Delta. The Mobile-Tensaw Delta is the breeding ground of 70% of the gulf shrimp, loss of this habitat would have damaged Gulf of Mexico Eco system.

Rick

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) - Alabama officials concerned about the rapid migration of giant South American snails are about to try to halt their advance in Mobile County.

Ben Ricks, a biologist with the state Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries division, says a heavy dose of poison will be administered on Monday two ponds in Mobile's Langan Park and in most of Three Mile Creek.

Authorities said they want to stop the advance of the apple snails before they colonize the Mobile-Tensaw Delta.

In addition to poisoning the thousands of fist-sized adult snails, officials say they plan to smash every one of the pink wads of snail eggs they can find, beginning Saturday.

Experts say the snails typically destroy all aquatic plants in areas they infest, leaving behind an algae-filled wasteland.
    Original.jpg

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I think it is disgusting that people think it even for one second is a good idea to throw aquatic creatures into non native territories!

I live in VA and we have the issues on the Potomic River with Snakeheads... Stupid people that have fish outgrow their ability to care and think its "better" to let the fish live in the wild again....

I know FL has issues too... Especially that the waterways are semi-tropical... I heard there are areas where you can go fishing for Oscars, Flowerhorns and other tropical fish that do not belong.

These fish DO NOT belong in our waterways as the way the species adapts to the new environment including its place in the food chain IS ENTIRELY UNPREDICTABLE!!

3. LemonDiscus

I think it is disgusting that people think it even for one second is a good idea to throw aquatic creatures into non native territories!

I live in VA and we have the issues on the Potomic River with Snakeheads... Stupid people that have fish outgrow their ability to care and think its "better" to let the fish live in the wild again....

I know FL has issues too... Especially that the waterways are semi-tropical... I heard there are areas where you can go fishing for Oscars, Flowerhorns and other tropical fish that do not belong.

These fish DO NOT belong in our waterways as the way the species adapts to the new environment including its place in the food chain IS ENTIRELY UNPREDICTABLE!!

Its idiots who let creatures go like this that will ultimately cause issue for us responsible fishkeepers in the future!

4. cooltow1

cooltow1 Thread Starter Member

We are seeing this more and more in Florida
    Already in Florida if you own a snake you have to have a yearly permit and the snake must be mico-chipped
    Some specie of fish are by permit only or out right banned
    In Florida we send million on control of nonnative noxious aquatic weeds.
    There is a big lobby in Florida to tighten control of the tropical fish trade That will only make domestic raised fish less available to hobbiest

Rick

5. LemonDiscus

I can believe that! It also goes along with that bill that they were going to present to the house that would make only animals on an OK list to be imported to the US. Being a Federal ban on animals would create a huge impact on the animal trade in the US. Right now with individual states creating their own laws, that already creates issues with the trade but does allow animals that have not caused significant harm to the environment if released and those animals that will cause harm to the local ecosystem are banned.

For example (I know this is not the case) but if you were to buy an Oscar here in VA and throw it into a lake because it is too big, that fish will not live 1 year in our waterways before it dies. Not that it could not possible cause damage or adapt but a thriving community of Oscars in not likely here in VA or any other state up north..

However conversely, that very same fish released in a Florida waterway has a VERY high likelyhood of not only surviving but also thriving in your waterways. That said, if Florida were to ban Oscars that would be understandable.

Also though, Florida creating a ban on ANY animals creates a HUGE issue to the trade of animals in America. Florida is the #1 import center for wildlife in the US set to go on trade. New York does not even bring in the number of animals Florida does. So FL shutting down ANY species would severely impact the trade of those animals.

Again, stupid and naive people, making stupid and naive decisions can cost EVERYONE that enjoys keeping exotic pets including birds, fish, reptiles, amphibians, insects, plants and anything else that COULD cause damage to a local ecosystem if released!

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I see it around here too!
    I've seen koi in the river when fishing....and not too long back there was something in the paper about a gar or something similar that was found in the allegheny river....and also there was a caimen (sp) found in a creek just a while back.

I think it's pretty much a worldwide problem and quite sad. I bet people think they are doing the right thing for the animal...giving it a vast "home", but not realizing the consequences on the eco-system.

7. LemonDiscus

That and then that catfish on the Mississippi River that jump out the water and into the boats because of the motors in the water... they dont belong there either.

You know actually there are other reasons less obvious too why animals, plants and bacteria get moved to incorrect ecosystems...

If you have a boat and you do not wash it between moving it lake to lake, there is a chance that you can carry eggs from a fish or amphibian from one lake to another and contaminating any lake after the one that you took the boat from... Same goes for other items too!

Most people dont think of these little things we do without thinking that could cause an ecological disaster in just a blink of the eye.

And like you said Dawn, its either they do it thinking its for the best or doing it without even realizing it! Either way or for whatever reason people need to not only be informed of this problem and the consequences but also care!

8. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

well unknown hobbiest i don't really blame them if you couldnt house a fish but had no heart to destroy it no one would take it in their is only one choice that is obvious but yes it is extremely bad just like when euopeans came and wiped out tons of indians with guys and disease same applies

9. BobV

BobV Member

we have idiots up here who have released pike into local lakes, killing off the wild trout and salmon fry.....real smart. Now all that is in the lakes is pike
    Maybe they are a better fish to catch because they give a better fight, but salmon and trout are way better eating.

10. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

wow same here but instead their would have been a AWESOME fishing spot near us with sturgeon and striped bass but then they blocked it out with land fill so it's just a dead overfished lake the tried to stock it with rainbow trout a few times but after 2 days people fish out every single 1 =[...

11. Philsy

Philsy Member

One of the main causes of none native fish and animals reproducing and thriving in Florida is due mainly to breeding facilities being damaged and flooded by hurricanes, in areas out of hurricane reach it is definitely human stupidity.

12. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I will totally agree with you on this point, often times we are quick to blame carelessness on the part of the hobbyist when in actuality it can be do to unforeseeable acts of God as well.