1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

New 28 gallon nano cube

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Icemushi, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Icemushi

Icemushi Thread Starter New Member

Hey guys, I am new to The Exotic Fish, and i cam here to learn and understand more about fish tanks. I am about to start a new 28 gallon nano cube. I am kinda new to this. DOes anyone know what i need. I MEAN EVERYTHING I AM GOING TO NEED...ALso what fish and coral would be suitable. Pics would help me. PLease be specific :D TY

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

If you've never had a saltwater tank or experience with one prior I'd suggest doing a freshwater nano cube, reason being is you have a smaller volume of water which leaves basically NO room for error and with saltwater it's more finicky in my honest personal experience.

But as far as what you'll need..it's basically the same as a freshwater setup and depends on how advanced you want to get and what you plan on keeping within it.

*Lighting (depends on what you plan on keeping).
    *Canopy (optional, but definately a plus to keep evaporation at a minimum)
    *Thermometer- to see if your water temperature is fluctuating, if it is...that brings me to the next item
    *Aquarium Heater- Submersibles are easier to hide
    *If your not doing a bare bottom setup then you'll probably want substrate such as aragonite
    *again, depends on what your doing...but I'd suggest a couple pieces of live rock (cut eggcrate/lighting diffuser to fit the bottom of your tank to help with the weight, then place your live rock, and then your substrate). There's a reason for this order..it's so your live rock is more stable and doesn't shift when/while doing partials. People have also drilled through the rock and configured it with white PVC like you find at the hardware store and have even used Zip Ties, but being a small tank I'd doubt you'll be wanting to do any of that (or need to for that matter).
    *Refractometer - to measure the amount of salt in your water/mix
    *Saltwater Aquarium Salt
    *Full Saltwater Test Kit...to monitor the tank for "cycling" and in case any issues appear that's the first thing that anyone will ask you (water's parameters).
    *Protein Skimmer (optional some will say), but I recommend them. (dependant on the type purchased you may or may not need an air pump and airstone).
    *Saltwater approved filter (but if enough live rock is used, that can be used as a natural filtration system).
    *Possibly a powerhead or powerheads (to prevent dead spots, anywhere your not receiving circulation).
    *Additives (again, depends on what your putting in the tank) such as limewater/kalkwasser, Seachem Prime, etc.
    *RO/DI (optional) unit/system
    *Siphon for doing routine partial water changes
    *nets, algae magnet/scraper, notebook for keeping track of parameter and routine maint., bucket-heater-airstone: for pre-mixing saltwater to top off the tank or replace siphoned water.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if your not sure what you want to do with the tank, I'd suggest going somewhere like Barnes and Noble where you can sit on a couch and read the book BEFORE being forced to pay for something that doesn't help you....take a note book to scrawl important information.

A good site to look over when considering stock would be somewhere like http://www.saltwaterfish.com/

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

5. Icemushi

Icemushi Thread Starter New Member

hey thanks for the help, this information is really usually and yes i did have experience with saltwater tank.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Your most welcome, and I wasn't sure about the saltwater experience so I figured I'd cover all the bases just in case :)