1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

New and thinking about saltwater

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Anonymous, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I have a freshwater tank, and i am thinking about a saltwater tank. I have a 29 gallon aquarium that i could use. I was wondering if that would be a good size and what exactly does a protein skimmer do that nothing else can do?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

A protein skimmer does exactly like the name implies. It skims or removes proteins from the water. Air is introduced into the water that the protein skimmer sucks in and the protein and undissolved organics float to the top and bubble up into the collection cup.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Better have deep pockets for saltwater.
    ->I'd recommend a good ro/di system to save you alot of grief in the long run
    ->You have to use special salt (not the kind at wal-mart)
    ->You'll need a salinity meter
    ->You'll defin. want alot of live rock (can add a bit at a time, but much easier to add it all at once and save you from re-arranging each time you add)
    ->The protein skimmer that you mentioned will skim the foam off the top and much more
    ->Good water movement is a must! A couple of strategically placed power heads (when I had saltwater setup I had the redsea wavemaker--can normally score relatively cheap on E-bay)
    *And I'm sure Anthony can add much more to the list..this is just a quick draft*
    IF your going into salt I would highly suggest to buy in bits that way you can have the best of the best and save yourself from the need to upgrade...don't skimp on the protein skimmer!

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah I was looking at the AquaC remora protein skimmer. Will I still need a mechanical filter like I have with my freshwater to create water flow or will just a wave maker work? Also, I have an extra underground filter, how bad would it be to put it in a salt water aquarium?

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You will need a HOB or Canister filter also. You will also likely need a powerhead in the tank. Don't use underground filters.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Alright thanks for the help. I am not exactly sure what I want to do now I am in college and plan on moving in the fall so I hate to get one set up and running just to have to move as soon as it was going good. It might be best for me to stick with another freshwater tank.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, if you know you'll only be able to run the tank for that amount of time it might be best to hold off until you can set it up in a more permanent place.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah. Well thanks for the help I will probably post a topic in the freshwater to see what kind of fish to do in it.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You're welcome. ;)

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

If your in college, i'm sure your really busy and it's probably best to wait as anthony said. As for the Remora Pros their supposed to be really good from what I read and take up minimal space. Refugium under the tank would be the best way to go in either case from what I've been told (just a cleaner look and easier to maint.)...Although I never personally had the space to do one.
    Good Luck!

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks I believe I am going to do what Anothony said wait. I have made my mind up on a freshwater tank.