1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

New Clown Loach

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by jrow8162, Apr 1, 2009.

1. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

Just got a new Clown Loach today at LFS and its the biggest i've ever seen in person. It was in a 20 gallon tank full of fish and they only wanted 10 dollars for it so I couldnt pass it up. My last two died from Ich so I was pretty excited to get this one. Pictures probably dont do it justice. He's a little shy so I had trouble getting a good shot. Waiting for Anthony to post the pic now...
    Loach.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Very nice size for $10.00
    They run much more at my lfs and those bad boys can get huge!
    I've seen some whoppers at the store I frequent

3. jrow8162

The guy at the store told me that the guy that gave them the fish had him in a 10 gallon tank with a Flower Horn and some other large cichlids that he had dropped off. I dont see how because the other Cichlids were pretty big. They wouldnt have been able to move. The small clown's sell for around 7 bucks there. This one was in a 20 gallon tank that was way overstocked... He's swimming around this morning and has his color back now... He also has a nice hiding place in my tank which i'm sure helps.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

That's crazy..I can't believe they would tell you that! (accepting specimens from overstocked tank well knowing its the no1 cause for diseases and injuries..not including stress).

I'm glad to hear the color is coming back!

5. jrow8162

The tank he was in was overstocked. They didnt have anywhere to put the fish so they dropped it in a tank full of swords and mollies. I doubt he would have made it in there long. He looked pretty stressed. I've been watching him pretty close to make sure he doesnt have any ich or fungus. I have my tank temp up a little too. Around 82.. He's swimming around a lot and looks really good now so i'm not really worried about him being sick. Now I have to buy a few more for him to hang out with... :)

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Wow. I got this from wikipedia.-->clown loaches are best kept in groups of 3-4 or more. Due to their potentially large size, a 60 to 100 gallon (230 to 380 litre) aquarium should be the minimum size used.

I knew they needed a big tank, but my lfs said over 100g to me for a small school.

7. jrow8162

Yeah, they can get up to 2 feet long if you can keep them that long... If this fish really came out of a ten gallon tank it has to be a few years old...

8. werdo

werdo Member

nice for that price i dont think i would of passed him up he looks like hes about the same size as 1 of mine

9. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

nice dont worry about them growing to pig i had mines for 2 years+ and they were up to only 5-6" and if he does grow to big you can sell it to me for 10$ [dancing] [dancing] [dancing] lol nice but you should really get more then 1 their schooling fish and ick is a big problem always quarintine new fish water changes and bump the temp up 82F just to be sure [dancing] [dancing] ;)

10. jrow8162

Yeah, I lost my last Clown Loaches to Ich. I picked up another one over the weekend. Not near as big but they still hang out. They only had one so I still need to get 1 or 2 more. I moved my Africans into the same tank and they all appear to be doing fine. I've kept my temp at 82 since the last Ich spell and have no plans to turn it back down...

11. werdo

werdo Member

ya i need to pick up 1 or 2 more clowns my self its funny lookn at the 2 i have because the one is a good size bigger then the other so its like ill call him mini me

12. jrow8162

Yeah, mine are in a Tank full of African Cichlids. One is the biggest fish in the tank and the other is the smallest fish in the tank.

13. werdo

werdo Member

nice lol

14. DarkDemolition

DarkDemolition New Member

Good luck on your clown fish it's a nice one... Keep up the good work... ;)

15. jrow8162

Thanks!

16. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

(s)he looks pretty :)

17. werdo

werdo Member

i ended getting my pics up so if u want to c my clowns in my tank