1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

New from Upper US.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by shoteh, Mar 26, 2010.

1. shoteh

shoteh Thread Starter New Member

Kind of hesitant to start a hello topic but here I am, Hello from MN. It's been almost 20 years since my dad bought me a 10 gallon tank and an air pump for my 7th birthday. He took me to the nearest pond and we netted out some minnows as my first fish, we also brought home a cooler full of pond water. We were poor at that time. He said that if I could raise the minnows for a month then by that time he would be able to save enough to take me to the pet store to get some fish.

A month passed and fortunately the minnows didn't die without a heater or a filter so off we went to the pet store. There I bought my first fish, the feeder guppy. I found the prettiest feeders there was and bought all 5 of them. (they were more colorful than my minnows and didn't cost that much so my dad was happy about that.) At that time we also bought some tropical fish food (I was feeding the minnows only worms I found outside at the time). Guess what? after a few days they all died. My dad blamed me for not feeding them, the truth was I fed them too much and too often.

Anyway he then made me empty the tank and do some research before I choose to raise more fish. I was sad but I remember that day I took his challenge and borrowed and read over 10 books from the library, and 2 months later my next fish, the fancy guppy lasted over a year. I have been keeping fish on and off since then and my fish curiosities and experiences have grown since then.

I am more of a lurker but don't mind me butting in every now and then on here. Thanks for the time.

2. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Welcome ^^

Thanks for the story, so few do people say much other than "here I am, welcome me" (I used to own a forum)

So, what are you currently keeping? Anything?

I think I have an internet friend from around where you are.... She just started keeping seasonal killifish =P

I keep Triops, Endler's, some guppies every now and then, "Dwarf Livebeares/Least Killifish" --favs--, Red Cherry shrimp, and a blue crayfish I just happened to find outside!

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

No reason to hesitate, we don't bite.

I'm glad to see you were finally able to get into the hobby and keep the fish alive. Goldfish while very common and cheap actually require a lot of filtration because they're so dirty. I'm not sure if you had a filter on your tank at that point or not but between feeding too often and not having a filter that's likely what caused their short lives. Great to see that it didn't discourage you from trying again though !

4. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

They said Guppies =P

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

LoL oops. I saw "feeder" and didn't pay attention to the guppy part. I'm so used to "feeder goldfish".

6. shoteh

shoteh Thread Starter New Member

Thanks for the welcome guys. Wow owning a forum, must be hard work.

Well currently I am limited on space as I am still in school so I only have a planted 7gal with ruby red tetra's and a pair of endlers and 20 gal long temporarily housing three electric blue rams until I finish the 55 for them back home with the parents.

I love all kinds of fish and have owned a handful of types, but mostly are limited the the tank sizes. I've owned a few cichlids, lots of tetras, most of the regular livebearers, a few different panchax killifish, few types of cories, bettas, etc. I wish I had the space but if I did I bet all my money would be going towards this hobby [icon_cool.gif]

And yes I was talking about guppies, not goldfish. Some reason I was never into raising goldfishes that much, though I believe they are beautiful fish with proper settings.

7. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Gold fish are monsters =P I have a high dislike of them.
    I know what you mean XD a week or two ago I spent an entire paycheck on some endler's. Don't regret it tho ^^

8. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Welcome, Please do "chime in" whenever you have something to share. Sounds like you have some experience and we can all learn from others experinces no matter how many years we've been keeping fish. Hope to hear from you.

9. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

welcome

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

welcome!