1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

New here From Orange, CA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SmokeyCFH, Oct 9, 2010.

1. SmokeyCFH

SmokeyCFH Thread Starter New Member

Whats goin' on guys, I'm new here to this board. I've got a 125G predator tank, 45G jack tank, 20G Demasoni breeding tank, 10G hospital tank, 20G ruby red peacock breeding tank, 10G feeder tank, 60G cichlid tank and 2 small fry tanks.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Welcome to the forum!
    That's quite a nice assortment of tanks you got going on there, sounds like a fish room in the making :)

1) what's in your predator tank
    2) is your Jack a male or female?
    3) We must have some photos!

3. SmokeyCFH

Thanks! Yeah, it sure sounds like it and smells like it thats for sure, good thing i'm used to it by now or it'd drive me mad! haha
    1) My 125G: Large oscar, jaguar cichlid, scofoli, yellow lab, M/F Kenyi, red top cichlid, frontosa, 3 pleco's, arowana, marble goby, fat sleeper goby, ornate bichir, eclipse catfish, bullhead catfish, tiger shovelnose catfish, 18" ripsaw catfish, a wolf fish and a florida softshell turtle.

2) I currently have around 11 or 12 jacks, both male and females in the lot.

3) I'll get on the photo's when I get a chance :) thanks a lot, have a great day :)

4. nossie

nossie Member

Welcome! I'm impressed! I'd love to see some photos soon :) Especially of the predator tank ;)

5. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

welcome.

very bad mix of fish imho !!!!!

6. SmokeyCFH

says you? they seem to enjoy each other.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

I'd have to agree with buzz. For example, the kenyi... You should have 1 male to at least 3 females. The front should have a group of 5 or so and the jaguar seems really out of place, especially aggression wise.

8. SmokeyCFH

Well then I dont know, i'm not really looking to breed the kenyi so I dont need more than that, but they were my friend's and he had to get rid of his tank, at least all the small fish (frontosa, kenyi, scofoli, redtop) but they all do pretty well together.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It's not for breeding necessarily. It's because males will harass females and with only one female she will be very stressed.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

45G jack tank with 11 or 12 mixed males/females? are they fry?
    Reason being I had a jack before and he lived in a 55g by himself (knows firsthand how big they can get with proper care).

Very Nice fish! But hate that they always redecorate their tanks (poorly mind you). LoL

11. SmokeyCFH

No, I have 11 or 12 jack's all together. I started with 3 and people just kept giving them to me haha. And actually female kenyi doesn't get harassed at all, if anything the female is more dominate but they tend to stay at opposite sides of the tank.

12. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

a little research in the fish you've got or want to get will go along way !!!

13. nossie

nossie Member

Though something sounded strange!!
    But as long as it works keeping them together... d: Still, keep an eye on them maybe, and be prepared in case there'll be trouble.

14. SmokeyCFH

Haha I did my research, I've been caring for different cichlid for over 6 years. And no I dont know everything there is to know, doubt I ever will but the large fish: the oscar, jaguar, 2 gobies, bichir, a jack dempsey, eclipse cat and the ripsaw cat were all raised togeher in a tank before I got them, and the frontosa, redtop, 2 kenyi's, scofoli, yellow lab, a small jack and a florida softshell turtle were all raised together in a tank by my buddy who had to give them to me. The bullhead cat, and three pleco's I've had for a number of years now, the only thing i've added for my own liking is the wolf fish, an arowana, and a tiger shovelnose cat because I hope to turn this tank into a full predator tank or I'm going to wait til I get my 200G+ tank. Thank you guys for your opinions, much appreciated.