1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

New Here:

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by brandeeno, Mar 12, 2009.

1. brandeeno

brandeeno Thread Starter New Member

Hi, My name is Brandon and I am new to this forum.
    I have been keeping fish nearly all my life and am nearly
    18. I live in Southern California and for the last three years
    have been rigorously keeping more exotic species of fish that
    I previously never ventured towards (I mainly had bettas and my
    dad had a large aquarium with some tropicals).

I am still on the light side (I'm a freshie still :p ) but I plan on soon converting my 45lt or 13 gallon tank to Salt Water at the opportune moment (that will take more money, and I'm trying to buy a used 60 gallon for my juvie Discus I bought over the holidays for a near steal (would have cost me nearly 100$ USD, but I only paid 40 and I got two neons, a large crypt, some hornwort, four mollies and an amazon sword plant). I made out well on the deal, and am glad that I had the opportunity to get such a deal to start with a new fancier and more exotic strain.

I'm a fairly low the kinda guy who sticks to low lights, liquid ferts and no CO2. I would like to upgrade some of this (the lights mainly) but the current times are tough and my family cannot afford to fuel my expensive and cash guzzling hobby. So for mow it is low tech and low out come :/

Any other questions about me feel free to shoot me a PM.

-Brandon

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome Brandon. How's your Amazon Sword doing under low light ?

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Welcome Brandon! Nothing wrong with low tech tanks! You can learn A LOT from having them.

4. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Welcome you should try start bigger on saltwater. Small tanks are really hard.

5. Angus

Angus New Member

Welcome to the forum

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Welcome to The Exotic Fish Forum Brandon!

:D Please make yourself feel right at home sharing and learning with the rest of us, we're definitely a friendly bunch!

:confused: If you’re having trouble finding something or need help you can contact myself (Dawn), Anthony or Jake through pm and we'll gladly help you ;)

:D Also, if/when you get a chance be sure to post some photos/videos of your setup/setups.

-> The following link will lead you directly to our photo/video section Aquarium Photos - Show off your Tank Forum

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hello, I'm a freshwater keeper to, I'm looking to starting to breed bettas but I haven't gotten the green light yet.

I need to show my mom and dad that I am able also hopefully work some odd jobs in order to get the money to start building my set up form the ground up.

I have guppies in a 20 gallon tank right now and I'm raising microworm as live food to.

8. drazzill

drazzill New Member

welcome to the forum

9. ira

ira Member

Welcome

10. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Hi Brandon welcome

11. brandeeno

brandeeno Thread Starter New Member

Thanks for all the welcomes!
    sorry I havent been around much,
    currently I bought another 29 gallon set up as a BUY AS IS
    situation and got a bunch of fish I dont want. I'm trying to sell them off as well as a few of my other fish. I also lost one of my discus a week ago not sure wy just emaciated and died in two days. The other is mopey for loosing its friends so I think I will sell it and buy a small school of youngsters to start off with in a few months (after i rescape). I also am currently tearing down my bayfront shrimp tank because some weird sulfurous smell started and I spotted a leak so I gotta get those taken care of them I think I will clean it up and sell the tank off as next year I go away to college and wont be home enough to take care of my fish (mom and dad can handle some of it though).

12. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

welcome i m in CA to but in norcal

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Sorry to hear about your turn of unfortunate events. Hopefully you'll figure out the cause and get it corrected.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Anthony, I have 2 amazon swords that have a bunch of sprouts on them and a few baby amazons and my lighting isn't even 2 wpg and they are doing just fine.

At the top of the stem from the mother plants, the buds closest to the top of the water have a few leaves with clear spots on them, but the leaves and plants at the bottom of the tank are doing very well.

So low lighting isn't bad for them at least from what I can tell. I also have cabomba that is doing great!

Brandon: if you only had 1 discus it probably died from stress. They are schooling fish so they need at least 2-6 other discus with them, if not more depending on tank size.

Awesome fish though! I love mine :)

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

clear plantlets sounds like your lacking iron travis.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Oh! That's not good.

Looks like I better check Petsmart for a supplement.

Also, in my central american tank, which is stock full of resin logs, resin rocks, and plastic plants.. now has brown algae growing over the decorations!

I do a 50% water change EVERY WEEK without missing and I keep the light on for about 12 hours a day. So I don't know where that has started haha.

Is a natural fix (i.e. algae eaters) or chemical?

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

This really needs to be in a post of its own (asking Anthony to move)

Brown algae is usually from low lighting, Excess nutrients (food or additives), and even silicates will cause the nasty bugger to rear its ugly head.

For algae covered decor such as plants you can do the diluted bleach soak followed by the prime soak and it will return them to brand new (or as close as possible)

...I can't remember what you have in that tank (brain fart, please excuse it)...Haha!

Amazed with 50% water changes 1x week your still getting it (ususally large water changes eliminate it). Are you trying to scrape and suck it out when doing changes (turkey baster to blast it)??

What kind (amt) of wattage and bulbs do you have over this setup?

What are you feeding (flake food can even cause it--had that issue in a saltwater setup)...and how often are you feeding?

Add some hardy live plants to help.

I'd test for the phosphates and see where they're reading in at. If your having an issue with them try some Seachem Phosgaurd (don't waste your time with the algone pads...they don't work...tried them before).

Then I'd check the nitrates and make sure they are in line....if not use Seachem De*Nitrate...stuff worked like a charm on mine!