1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

New member/old fishkeeper

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ms. Wright, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Ms. Wright

Ms. Wright Thread Starter Member

Greetings, everyone,
    I'm delighted to see a new (to me) aquarium forum, especially one that's based near where I live. Kind of seemed like the local hobbyist scene shut down when John closed C'ville Aquarium. I frequent the PVAS site, and the YATFS site and attend auctions of both clubs whenever possible, and it would be terrific to see some trading/auction activity in the central VA area.
    I've been in the hobby for 35-40 years, and currently have four tanks at home and two at the school where I work (hence the "Ms. Wright")
    There's a 150 here, sparsely populated with Tanganyikan cichs (yellow julies, L. Leleupi, daffodils, one big six-stripe frontie, some rainbows (McCulloughi, Wonga Creek, and turquoise) and five large rowdy synos (two Decorus, two Eupterus, one Ocellifer) and one little Syno Petricola (still not too sure just where he came from)
    A 55 with six Bahia Red Geophagus, two blue gouramis and one huge syno (Eupie, I think) who was kind of a rescue fish and got whupped up on by the gang in the 150.
    A 10g, planted, with 12 Celestichthys margaritatus, four Boraras Briggitae and a bunch of little ancistrus I bought cheap and am growing out.
    And a 5g with A. Striatum.
    At school I have a planted 10g, with just four cardinal tetras; waiting until after Christmas break to put in a pair of Apisto Borelli I have on hold.
    And a 55 which is now, sadly, a catch-all. It's in the room where I used to work, and had a nice breeding colony of yellow labs, now there are maybe two labs, a pair of jewels, and two blood parrots the principal got tired of
    *looking for a yuck icon*
    I kept Malawi cichs for a very long time, and miss them. Still think their color, activity and intelligence is unparalleled.
    Might be doing a major tank switch sometime soon; anybody here keep Tangayikans?
    Anyway, glad to be here; this looks like a great forum!

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to the forum. We have quite a few VA users on here.

3. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Nice to have you on board:) Your knowledge of Africans will be greatly appreciated I sadly, can say I actually know very little, I went hybrid and own a Flowerhorn.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

welcome

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Do you have any pictures of your tanks/fish ?

7. Ms. Wright

Afraid not; I'm no photographer. I need to get my daughter up here to do some pics; she's a gifted amateur (lives in Virginia Beach). That would also mean a visit with the grandsons. :)

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

MAN I was looking forward to some pics:(

9. Ms. Wright

Right now the main feature in the two big tanks here is some humungous pieces of driftwood piled over with rocks. :D Found a beauty for the 150, and the only thing big enough to soak it in would have been the bathtub, so I washed it and weighted it down in the tank. For those of you in the central VA area, the Minuteman MiniMall in Culpeper has a booth where they sell nothing but driftwood, and the prices are incredible! The larger gorgeous piece is around 34x36x12 and it was priced at "$15.00 firm". :) Definitely not too shabby, if you've paid five times that for smaller pieces.
    I'll try to get Katie up here to take some pics; the geos are getting pretty awesome. Actually thinking about switching everything around. putting the geos in the 150 and the Tangs in the 55. Only large Tang is the frontie and they're not the most active fishes. The synos will have to stay in the 150; hopefully they won't squabble with the geos. There's kind of an obnoxious "gang" mentality with them, but the geos won't take any crap, I don't think.

10. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Welcome to the forum!

Not a bad price for diftwood. I usually hunt for it to spare the cost!

11. steves_kiki

steves_kiki New Member

welcome fellow virginian :)

12. lostanime

lostanime New Member

Welcome! :D