1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

New South American and African Cichlid poster

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Anonymous, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hello, I saw an ad on our local Craigslist for this site and thought id check it out. Hopefully the next time we have a problem this will be a good forum to learn about. Anthony, im guessing this is a new site??

We have a 55 gallon SA Cichlid tank with bio/charcoal pump system that contains 2 Dempseys, a large oscar, a synodontist catfish, and an African blue jewel.

Our other (more fun and newer) tank is host to about 15 small African cichlids. Some include, a bumblebee, about 3 peacocks, Acei, Kenyi, Frontosa, a cat, a pleco, a rusty zebra, a yellow labrador, venustus, a red jewel, and one live plant (coffee plant??) We keep this tank running with two powerheads hooked up to an underground filter.

My question to you guys... does an underground filter ever need to be cleaned out??? Im under the impression that the UG filter sucks turds down through the gravel for storage? Well why arent they being sucked back up and shot in the tank? This tank has been established for about 5 months and ive done 2 gravel vacuuming of the rocks not filtered by the UG filter in the front. Each time the water comes out DARK BROWN. I know thats not good, but its what the water is like when i vacuum the other tank monthly.
    Im not one to test the water of my tanks unless there is an apparent problem.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to the forum!

Yep, the site has been up and running for just over a month now (Since changing hosts).

Underground filters are really a thing of the past. They just hold all the food and waste in the gravel (a lot of it doesn't actually make it through the gravel) and it basically sits there and rots until you clean it.

If you're going to keep that filtration system I suggest cleaning the gravel at least once every 2 weeks.

As for your smaller tanks... When do you plan on upgrading them ?

3. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Welcome scottygill. I'm glad you joined us.

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks for the tip, i guess ill have to keep up on it better. We just have the two tanks 55gal for SA's and a 65gal for the Africans. (neither of which i consider small :D )

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What's the tank using the underground filtration ? What size is that ?

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Its the 65 with two powerheads , the filter covers about 80 percent of the tank bottom, the front 5 inches dont have filter under it and thats what i ususally vacuum. We also have this thing (i forget the name) its a bag of this special charcoal that supposedly lasts 6 months. It supposed to go in a filter unit however since we dont have one, it sits on the bottom of our tank behind some plants.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh okay. It looks much smaller in the picture.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I love oscars.

Is that a black convict I see they breed worse than rabbits.

Nice tanks but it does look smaller in the pics.

Over the tank filters are the best way to go they are the only way to get you tank really clean. and work as an airader as well