1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

no more fish for me

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by littledane, Feb 9, 2010.

1. littledane

littledane Thread Starter Member

:( lost all 4 of my tanks this weekend due to the winter storm that came through va. lost my 4 year old 9" green terror both my 4" convicts my 9" and 7" breeding pair of dempseys a 10" and a 8" pleco my wifes beta and two planted tanks. took all the tanks down. going to go in a different direction now.

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Sorry to hear that, I know a lot of people lost quite a bit of stock because of this storm.

3. BobV

BobV Member

Think generator

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I was lucky... no power loss at all...

5. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Yeah, I got lucky too. Real sorry to hear about that!

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

thank goodness no power loss here (yet, as we're still expecting more snow)...soo sorry to hear about the losses.

7. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

sorry for your loss...we've been lucky thus far and had no power loss

8. James0816

James0816 New Member

Sry to hear that. I lost a bit myself. But don't get discouraged and just give up.

9. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i lost 2 widebars due to a air stong that clips on to the wall fell off and not enough oxegen and 2000$ lost :'[

10. Cay

Cay New Member

sry to hear that D: .... i would hate to lose my fish too. they just mean so much to me. not to mention they are worth a fortune ._. i have battery air pump. but nothing can stop it from gettin too cold for the fish, unless i boil water and add in once in a whil o.o

11. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Back in the 70s in Chicago one winter my electric went out for 5 days. Thank you I had an old gas stove and kept warm water bottle on the tank and everyone survived, I was exhausted after 5 days though. They just came out with cheaper battery pumps and had them on hand.

12. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Where I am at, we get ALOT of power outages, I never lost any fish though, I run everything on a battery back-up if the power isnt back on by the time that is depleated, I have a 2500 watt portable generator, not only does it keep the tanks running it also keeps their food ice cold.

13. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Wonderful living in a city that the electric was installed by Ben Franklin himself! LOL I lived there I know.

14. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

its terrible, atleast last year was every 3-5 days power was out for atleast 12 hours.

Ben and Thomas arent dead, they run COMED.

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's why my 30 long was broken down. It was still at Jake's mom's which is not far from you littledane. Lost all the Endler's I had in there.

16. Cynthia

Cynthia Member

we had some winter storms real bad in 08 where I live...lost my little Betta Alfy then, though he was 5 years old so if he just died from old age or because the heater was out (no power and I don't have a generator) is anyone's guess but this time I have a powercord behind my betta's set up (gonna buy 3 more 2.5 gal plastic tanks and 4 mini under gravel heaters and thermonitors to keep them tropical later after platy tank is set up, gonna be fun though I need another powercord ) my dad says that if the eletric bill is over 400 he's gonna switch my tanks to cold water, I said if he did that I'd get a missisipi catfish and they grow to over 3 feet easy, that shut him up it'd be cheaper to let me have my tropicals than try to take care of one of those river monsters

:)

<a class="postlink" href="http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x11/texacorw/Zaar%20Misc/bigcatfish1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x11/ ... tfish1.jpg</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.catfishhavenlake.com/Pictures1/OddThings/MississipiCatfish.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.catfishhavenlake.com/Picture ... atfish.jpg</a>

they say everything's bigger in Texas?
    Texas hasn't seen a fully grown blue catfish