1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

"Open Bottom" Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anthony, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

We've seen these before, with freshwater fish. Here's one with saltwater.
    [youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C2EIO2hX1Hc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C2EIO2hX1Hc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

2. caronsd

caronsd New Member

i just wouldnt want one of these, if you lose power for even a second you lose your vaccum and water empties

3. Anthony

Battery Backup. ;) :)

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

very stunning.. battery backup would have to be a must!! i'd be terrified of power failures otherwise. Imagine the possibilites

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Thats EFFI'N SWEET!!!!!!!!!

6. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Saw it on youtube lately. It's great but It looks like alot of work :p

7. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

i think that's the same tank turned saltwater.......it looks like it from what i remember.....

8. Leslie

Leslie New Member

im confused. what does open bottom mean? i cant watch no vidieos or play noise. please explain. i watcched like a minute of it but thats it. anyone wanna explain?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

baiscly it two tanks put together. however one if almost about the water line of the other tank, that tank has a bottom piece missing so the fish can travel between both tanks.

the only problem is get the vuccume right, because if you don't all your water from the open bottom tank will flood in to the other tank causing it to overflow.

hope that helps.

10. Anthony

I looked for a picture of one but really couldn't find anything.

11. Leslie

Leslie New Member

ok. thats what i thought.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I still dont get it there must be somesort of pump what if it fails? seems more trouble then it is worth. But looks great

13. silas

silas New Member

No, you don't need a pump, and it's a pretty stable setup.

Do this - fill your kitchen sink with water and get a glass jug and put it into the sink, turn it upside down and lift the bottom of the jug out of the water? Lift it a bit more, the water stays in the jug, so long as you don't let a continuous stream of air in, as long as the rim of the jug stays below the water level of the tank its immersed in there's no worry.

14. DanBruv

DanBruv New Member

thats mint oh my gosh ! i wants one

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

That is awesome, I'm one of those people that would cause the power outage by accident and end up flooding the tank though T_T I think I'll stick to tanks with bottoms XD

16. silas

silas New Member

A power outage would not make the upside down tank empty.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I though it was a tank without a bottom and top? If that's what it is it should flood it....

18. punkazzoverb

punkazzoverb New Member

it wouldn't flood in a power outage..... its self vaccumed.. no special pump or power needed..