1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Open to ideas to fill my tank!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by H.Otte85, Oct 25, 2010.

1. H.Otte85

H.Otte85 Thread Starter New Member

Hi all! I just acquired a 180 gal tank complete with oak stand, 8-ish gal refugium, wet/dry filter for up to 300 gal, pre-owned previously salt tank. I'm not sure what to put in it. I have lots of time and initiative, but not a lot of capital to invest. I have been thinking about an octopus, but have also always dreamed of breeding discus. Previously, my largest tank was 29 gal and I've only cared for freshwater in the past. I do not like clown fish or chiclids or goldfish/carp-types. I'm open to ideas followed by detailed information on how to acquire and keep them.
    Thanks for the time!

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Discus, definately do discus.
    I get mine from Oddball Pets who ordered directly from Hans (can't beat their prices)...and they do AND WILL ship!
    This is a link to their last discus sale--> http://www.oddballonline.com/discus_sale.html

I'd go with the 2.5" and let them grow (saving you money for sure).
    As far as keeping them...it's not that hard ime.
    (*)Freshwater that's pretreated with a good dechlorinator each and every time you add water (I use Seachem Prime).
    (*)Low Ph (mine's steady 6.0 outta the tap)
    (*)Snuggly warm temperature heaterwise (85-86F is where I keep mine...BOTH adults and fry)
    (*)Water Changes- At least weekly in the minimum amount of 25%...more obviously being better)
    (*)Feeding...A quality varied diet of High Protein Food (I use Frozen Foods and Flakes)
    (*)Tank bottom being barebottom or a soft belly safe substrate such as Sand- they love to lightly blow it in search of food (I use pool filter sand).
    (*)Decor being optional, But they do like a nice Hiding Spot...whether it be A nice lush Sword Plant they can hide behind, or a patch of Vals (plastic plants work too, but if/when they become spooked they make run into them/through them and get scratches on their body).

3. GREENTEAL52

GREENTEAL52 Member

Be careful with the wet/dry if there not set up just right they will over flo. I have 2 salt set ups and change over to natural filters , also have a 55 gal brackish tank with natural filter a lot less maintenance on tanks . Planted tanks are so much more interesting to watch and keep. Planning to add mangroves next !!

4. GREENTEAL52

GREENTEAL52 Member

I just upgraded to 220 gallon setup with triple halides and moved my fresh water set up to my 110 gallon , I had to move out my black damsel and blue Niger too aggressive for the other fish ,all is well thriving in both tanks