1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Oscar with Unknown Spot (Advice Wanted)

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Anonymous, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I started my freshwater aquarium about 2 months ago. I have 2 convict cichlid, 2 jack dempsey, 1 blood parrott and one Tiger oscar. They are all still young, no bigger then 2 inches, in a 40 g aquarium for now.
    2 days ago i noticed a spot on the ride of my oscar. The stot doesn't really look like ick but i'm not sure, The spot looks shiney, like it could be a scar of some kind. I am thinkin this because, when i feed them, the parrott sometimes nips at the side of the oscar(who is a little smaller)

The water is kept at 82 degrees the ph levels are great, the fish seem happy and they are good eaters. Could someone tell me what it could be, i don't want any of my fish to be sickk.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Spot on Oscar

Please be sure to include all of the following.

pH
    Ammonia Level
    Nitrite Level
    Nitrate Level
    How Often You Do Water Changes And What Percent You Change

Can you post a picture ?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

hey .. the ph levels are 6.6.. and i do 20% water changes every week-week and a half.. i tried to add a picture of him... but it won't let me

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks for telling me the site to resize pictures.. here it is...
    phpRUJA4KPM.jpg

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Are these white areas only in that one spot ?

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

yeah... everywhere else hes the usual black and orange color

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

here is a better picture of him...
    oscarrrrrr.jpg

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Is it furry looking ? I can't tell much from those pictures other than he's got a white patch.

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

no, its not at all furry looking.. It just looks like a small patch on his side turned white... to me it looks a lot like a scar... as if one of the other fish was nipping at his side.... i'll try and get a better picture up so you can have a better look at it

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Okay, well at this point I would suggest simply adding PimaFix and MelaFix to the tank and see if that helps any. Without a better picture I cannot give a better diagnosis.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

its prolly just a injury sustained from brushing against something sharp in the tank. I would look for anything that could cause an injury, ie anything sharp or jagged.

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Is it getting larger?

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wow, to me in the picture it looks fuzzy like a fungal infection? However hearing that it's been nipped by another fish makes me think that its more than likely a bacterial infection.
    Here's the chart I use http://www.elmersaquarium.com/c107problemchart.htm, But I'd try to get a better picture and follow Anthony's advice first since that's the route that would fix most issues.
    Try googling some of the problems in the chart link I posted and check for images and see if anything is a match to what your looking at.
    :D Good Luck :D

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

If it is not actively growing it may just be a scar I would do a little more research before hastily adding anything to the water.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Anthonys suggestion of PimaFix and MelaFix shouldn't hurt anything? If anything it could act as a preventative in case the wound is becoming infected so to speak.

17. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

My oscar (and other large cichlids) get these quite often, I have some that have gotten it from being moved from tank to tank, fighting, or mysteriously which I chalk up to them freaking out and running into something that has an edge. I feel that if you keep an eye on this and its not fuzzy or overly slimy looking it will heal on its own in due time. Think of it as a bit or rug burn or road rash.

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Right, if it's a fungal/bacterial those two should fix him up.

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

What is the purpose behind adding chemicals BEFORE knowing if there even is a problem? If it is not actively growing then I seriously doubt it is anything more than a scar/flesh wound that simple wc's would take care of.

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The point of adding PimaFix and MelaFix without knowing there is a problem is to prevent a problem from happening should it only be a wound/scar. They are all natural and I wouldn't even consider them a chemical. There's no harm in adding these two.