1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Oscars & Jack Dempsey

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by buzz4520, Jun 21, 2009.

1. buzz4520

buzz4520 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

we've had these guys since they were about 2 1/2 - 3 inch. jd is about 7 in, tiger o is about 9 in, albino's are about 10 1/2 now.

188.JPG

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Gorgeous looking specimens you have there.
    Amazed your tank isn't a wreck from those big boys!

3. buzz4520

Thanks! there's not much in the tank for them to wreck, 2 little home made fake bushes, small piece of driftwood, and a fake centerpiece stump (which will come out soon to give them more room). they all get along pretty well, there's some pushing and shoving, nothing serious yet.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

when I had oscars with a jack they mounded up the substrate all to one side of the tank...drove me nuts (perfectionist here) and I would daily level it all back to make it look "nice & neat"...it was an ongoing battle between the tankmates and myself. My family thought I was going insane and told me to let the darn fish just win....Many years after their trading and I can honestly say..I don't miss them>>>well maybe the Jack I do (had the most gorgeous colors as I am sure you already know).

5. buzz4520

use to have a fake hollowed out half log piece in there and one of the albino's would get in it and play bulldozer and clear out all the gravel. removed it when thay outgrew it,now its in with the africans. we'll find a few bare spots in the gravel and they will push the bushes around a bit.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sounds mild compared to when I had mine. I had one that got stuck in a large log thingy..the one somehow managed to wedge himself in there sideways and couldn't get out...luckily hubby was home and I made him break the decor to free the fish cuz god knows I wouldn't stick my hand in there with them.

Nice to look at..Yes...
    Dawn stick her hand in there...that's a big heck no! Lol!

7. buzz4520

lol on hands in tank!! i've been nipped myself. my wife was feeding them some cucumber one night and open the lid to put in somemore the tiger o came half way out the tank and took a piece out of her fingers. i don't know who jumped higher, her or our 5 yr old (who was next to her watching).

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

glad I'm not the only one leary of them buggers. Lol!

9. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Nice!!!

I used to feed my Oscars by hand... they dont hurt at all when they bite.... more of a surprise than anything else! I really like Oscars! They are GREAT pets!!! Like water dogs.... lol

10. buzz4520

Thanks Lemon...and yes they are great pets !! i agree 100%

11. buzz4520

here is some close up's of the guys.

189.JPG 198.JPG 199.JPG

12. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Those are some nice oscars. And pretty sharp pics what camera u use?

13. buzz4520

thanks. the camera is a nikon e2500, i don't like it but it's all we have and it dose the job.

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

love the orange on the oscars. Very colorful!

15. buzz4520

thanks. i would've like to have gotten some darker gravel (that would let their color "pop" out more) but we got what's in there for free so it'll do for a while.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

nothing better than free!

17. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I dont like nikons :) I myself use a Canon 350D

18. buzz4520

i would like to get a better camera someday. this one dose pretty desent on still shot other than that it's crap imo. that's why i don't have too many pics of my africans, buggers won't stay still enough to get a good shot, i have to take like 100 pics to get just a few good ones. haha

19. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I sometimes need to take quite a few pictures to get a few good ones too but never near 100!

And niks arent bad, I just hate em :)

20. drewza86

drewza86 New Member

Ha thats true they dont hurt but no matter how many times you get bit you never become accustom to having one chomp you, my gold oscar nearly peeled back my finger nail. And what i've read about oscars redecorating their tank is to do with breeding, i've seen my oscar doin the whole mating ritual on his own and he bulldozed his gravel away leaving a pit then did this weird 360 ballet lookin maneuver with his jaw bone to the bottom, i read that they like to clean it this way.......