1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

overkill heating & filtration

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by noshow discus, Aug 13, 2008.

1. noshow discus

noshow discus Thread Starter New Member

extreme
    am i the only one who goes above and beyond the norm?
    meaning i uversize the heaters i double up on filtration etc?

2. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

nope, i do the same. i have a 20 gallon sump, magnum 350 canister, 2 protien skimmers and a penguin bio wheel 350 on my 72 gallon.

3. noshow discus

noshow discus Thread Starter New Member

i just feel if this one filter will do the tank good then hey 2 filters has to do it better and if a 150 watt heater will keep it warm then a 200 watt heatre will keep it warm and not always be running.

4. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

believe me your not alone....i have plenty of freinds that are the same with their tanks.

5. Leslie

Leslie New Member

If you use 2 filters on a 10 gal would that be to much??

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Ive got two filters on my 55, two heaters on my 55, a 200 watt heater in my 40 and I thought I was going over kill with a 55 gallon filter on a 40 gallon tank. Your not the only one who is "extreeeemmmmeeeee" with their tanks.

7. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

i think the more filtration the better, the only thing is not many fish like the strong current.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

There is no such thing as over filtering. You can have too much current or water flow though.

The only problem with using a heater larger than what you need is you run the risk of cooking your fish should it fail in the on position.

9. Leslie

Leslie New Member

i thought about using 2 filters before but i just didnt know. now i do.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Also, having two filter allows you to clean one without leaving the tank acting as a standing pool of death water.

This is random but my Kuhlii loach just rammed one of the angels and scared the bejesus out of it lol!

11. Leslie

Leslie New Member

ok. so it wont hurt to have 2 filters. i still love your fish uncwnells. i cant get over its colors.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I got them this morning, they are sooo tinnnyyyy and cute as hell! Right now they are almost an inch, the males are beautiful and look exactly as the picture, the females, like most fish and bird species, are just a drab grey/tannish plain color. I have been trying to snap some pics but they are camera shy right now.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Sorry I fogot to put the main reason for the post, in your five gallon I wouldnt put two filters unless one is a submerssible or undergravel filter and the other a hang on back style. I think that two of any kind on a tank that small may create a ton of current. Thats just me though, and I am vertainly no expert, not yet.

14. Leslie

Leslie New Member

They are pretty. would they do good in a 10 gal? i like fish that have bright colors like that.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

They get to be 2" max, so a pair or trio would do great, if you put just the three in there you could make an egg collection/spawning area in there and just leave it for a while and collect the eggs.

16. Leslie

Leslie New Member

i wasnt going to put 2 filters in a 5 gal. i figured that may cause alotta problems. i think your fish are so pretty. i would only keep 2 or 3 in it. not many.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

That would be perfect, that way you can get the water parameters exactly right for them and they will breed like little rabbits! If you send me your email in a private message ill send you some information.

18. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

also the great thing about killifish is all the different color's you can get :D

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

its always good to have more then 1 filter because when you change youre filter you lose good bacteria.

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Nopers, I definately do the same!
    90 gallon with renafilstar xp4, 2 emperors and about to be 1 25watt gamma uv....not to mention two 300 watt heaters.
    Then theirs the 15 that has the emperor 400 on the back with the 50watt heater [dancing]
    My theory is bigger is alway better :) (and for those of you thinking bad things, get your heads outta the gutter...we're talking FISH equipment here) :)