1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

painting tank ?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Anonymous, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

wat kind of spray paint can i use to paint moverflow box inside my tank?

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I dont think I would advise painting anything that is going in the water with spray paint, thats just me though. I imagine the water would leach the chemicals out of the paint and into your tank.

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, painting anything that goes in the water won't be a good idea. That's why they make colored acrylic overflows.

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

yea. i think so too. but i c people paint the pvc pipe and stuff too that r in the tank.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

There is an "aquarium safe epoxy" but it's pretty expensive. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/3048/Epoxy-Paint-1-Gallon/Paint/0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... on/Paint/0</a>

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

You could just clean it hahahahahaha no sorry, I couldnt resist, ok after searching google I have found that krylon fusion is suggested as safe b/c its 100% latex and if you are going to use it make sure its 100% latex. Or you can paint it and then seal it in epoxy and if you do it this way any paint is fine. If I were you I would do some further research as I only read a couple of websites and two peoples opinions on the matter.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I know its a little off subject but I took an old 75g that had oak trim and painted the tank trim and the metal stand metal flake blue and it turned out looking very nice.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I've read in the past about the Krylon Fusion also (whereas others have used it to spray their filter intakes and what not-that sit inside the water), you can find it in Wal-mart in a nice assortment of colors if you opt to use it.

9. genettico

genettico New Member

If you are just trying to cover a clear overflow box you can attach acrylic panels you can buy at Piedmont plastics! Its easy, safe and you can glue it with sillicone onto your box!

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

nvm. i did something else.