1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

peta link related to fish care

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by LemonDiscus, Dec 18, 2008.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Nice link I found on PeTA about fish care

I am not crazy about PeTA as a whole as I feel at times they go on spells, attacking things they dont even know about nor research properly. But I did find this page on a link and after reading it the care for fish they have is quite thorough! If only more "fish-keepers" would follow this and understand, well, boards like this would not really be needed!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.helpinganimals.com/animalsHome_fish.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.helpinganimals.com/animalsHome_fish.asp</a>

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Why would this forum not be needed ? I created it not only to help others but I share my love for the hobby.

3. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Basically they're saying do not purchase fish? I'm sorry but even though I do not post on this forum a lot I love it
    I take pride in the proper care I provide for my fish

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

From what I understood from reading it they're saying not to purchase them but if you have them take proper care for them but then they state to ask your fish store for advice on keeping the fish.

Maybe it's me but why ask a fish store how to care for a fish that PETA is (I'll say this for lack of a better word) claiming purchases from a supplier that kills 50% before catching them, then kills another 40% before reaching the fish store.

5. LemonDiscus

I said that because of a few that came on here saying they have a 12" Oscar in a 55 gallon tank. We have seen our fair share on here of naive people that think a betta can live in a drinking glass!

As far as the forum, It is great because we share more info :D

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Okay. ;)

7. LemonDiscus

You see, there is elementary information and there is a "collective knowledge base"

The elementary info should not even need 1 thread! Like "How big of a tank should an Oscar need" "Should I feed my Arrowana a duckling?" "Is it good to feed my predatory fish nothing but feeder goldfish?"...... this should be taught WHEN the person buys the fish or should ideally be known by the customer. That is like asking about a dog, "should I feed my dog table food all the time?" Can my American Pitbull Terrier live on a 5" chain outside without a dog-house?"

Sites like this should be used for the tougher questions that are really only learned by experience like "what is this illness?" or "how do I do this to my tank?"

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I completely agree. I will say that to an extent some of those questions should be asked before buying anything, be it here or at the pet store. Honestly I'd much rather someone ask them here because most of us know better. At a lot of pet stores they will not know what's best for everything.

9. LemonDiscus

And by the way, it wasnt the "Please dont keep fish" part that I liked.... it was the "If you still choose to keep them" part!
    Coming here before you buy is one thing.... buying and then insisting we a wrong and we are attacking you is another. Do I need to pull up the posts? I can find at least 3 that someone swore we were attacking them when in reality we were helping and defending the fish.!

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Nope, I know exactly what you're referring to.

11. LemonDiscus

I had the feeling you would. Those posts still bother me as we tried, but they just would not listen to us! That is why I like that article is for people like that! You know!

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, it bothers me as well.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

As I've told Nelson, it's harder for me to be a "butt" about it because I'm the Admin/Site Owner. I try to say it nicely and let everyone else be harsh about it when the user doesn't want to listen. :)

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Ive got no problem being an a$$ lol

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

:) I know you don't Nelson. :p

16. steves_kiki

steves_kiki New Member

personally... i think some betta tanks are MUCH nicer than what the wild bettas live in... they are mud puddle fish. sometimes dry up and die from lack of water in their native land. I dont like the betta comment :( sorry- but i do however agree with the people who fall in love with the cute little oscar and then keep them in a 20 or so gallon tank. so sad... But some people think pets are random gifts to themselves and to others and could really care less... For example. Iguanas. cute tiny lil babies only $20 at most petshops. How many people who buy these things actually know they can get up to and exceed 5 feet at one point? Being a reptile rescue.. its sad. People let their Iguanas go thinking -ehh they will have a good enough life. But then i get called for a 3 1/2 foot iguana starving to death in a parking lot in downtown richmond. sooo sad.. i do agree people should do research before buying ANY critter.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

So then steve do you feel that animals should be kept in the same conditions that they face in the wild? Why not simulate a oil spill or through in some old raw chicken for an e.coli explosion. Or you could start dumping your trash straight into the tank to get the authentic feel of pollution.

18. steves_kiki

steves_kiki New Member

no- but i do not feel like all people should live in mansions just because they are better than a shack. and no offense, but i didnt say a gosh darn thing about pollution!! i was just saying that if all the room they NEED to survive is a muddy water hole, then why is a glass so much different? People can live healthy in a shack, apartment, single family home, etc. its all in what you can afford. and you can clean a glass weekly or more and the fish may be healthier than in a tank with other fish... more fish equal more waste. PS my name is Kin. Its SteveS kiki (as in my nickname was kiki and husbands name is steve) :)

19. fishbait

fishbait New Member

speaking of PETA and fish

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.peta.org/sea_kittens/index.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.peta.org/sea_kittens/index.asp</a>

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

:roll: :)