1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Photo Tips

Discussion in 'Photo Contest' started by Anonymous, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Love the tips. But i have an old camera and it sucks LOL its a vivitar 3.3 lol cant take good pics at all....

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I have an old Olympus 2.5MP (I think) that still takes pretty good pictures, of course not when they're enlarged.

3. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i'm looking to get a new camera any cheap good ones out there?

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Check Craigslist and Ebay.... they have nice ones... Amazon also is cheaper than the stores....

Be careful though when looking for "cheap" and "good" cameras as they usually do not go hand in hand!

5. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

lol darn

6. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:41 am

I've got a CANON 350D. It has quite a price but it can make beautiful pictures

7. CichlidStorm

CichlidStorm Member

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:10 am

OB EMPRESS

For those of you who remember the old camera, this one is FAR advanced from the old one, though it took fantastic pictures. SOOOO, I started playing around with the hidden manual settings on the new Canon SX20is, and found this option...color swap

the 2nd picture is the MAXIMUM capability in Telephoto. As you can see, it's breathtaking.

(Sorry to the MOD's if they have to remove it, 2nd pic, but I desired to show off the camera and what it is capable of.
    sx20is%2520367.jpg sx20is%2520292.jpg

8. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:11 am

lol thats werid

9. CichlidStorm

CichlidStorm Member

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:11 am

yeah it has some unique settings, I can focus on one single color and it will keep just that color and turn the rest black n white...lol

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:12 am

man that is pretty neat...would make nice wall art!
    ps. I'm the "only" mod and never a need to apologize

11. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

lol that's great. I love messing with those options on my canon sd1000. Even for a pocket camera it has some crazy settings. I'm dieing to upgrade though, either to a rebel or a g11

12. CichlidStorm

CichlidStorm Member

Noctu, I have the XTi, Xos, D40, D90, Canon A560, SX20is, and a Kodak Z650, the best of what I own, camera wise, seems to reside in the new SX20is. Has far more features, flexibility, and versitility. I wouldn't recommend a SLR or DSLR camera unless your a professional photographer. They are far too expensive to be purchased as a fish photo camera. (truth be told, my 150.00 A560, will just about out shoot most entry level SLR cameras in Macro.

13. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:13 am

Other than fish photography, I love scenery, plants, and just all around use. I know there's a lot more to an SLR than a point and shoot, but to me it's kind of a challenge to learn everything about it, and I seem to like challenging myself with things. I'll deff. look into the SX20is though, it seems to be more in the range of something I could actually afford, and your pics come out amazing. Cameras have come a long way since I had my first digital. My first was a Sony Digital mavica that used 3.5" floppy disks and ran around .5mp lol A guy I know has a Cannon EOS 5D Mark II, which it takes amazing photographs, but I couldn't imagine dropping that amount of $$$$ on it. This is his pbase site (photo album basically) <a class="postlink" href="http://www.pbase.com/spjaffe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pbase.com/spjaffe</a> . He does a lot of native caterpillars and insects, but he does have some fish photography on there as well as doing the photography for the image gallery on uncle ned's website. Half of it is done with a rebel and half with a mark II.

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:14 am

Thanks for discussing the Canon Power Shot sx20 is...I was considering purchasing it at Costco, but wanted to check out a few reviews first.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as</a> ... lang=en-US

Deal or no deal...that is the question. Lol!

15. LemonDiscus

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:14 am

SLRs are GREAT!!! If you use it as a point and shoot you wasted your money... There are better cameras meant to do that... As you stated there is MUCH more to them..

Rebels are GREAT cameras, I have used the 5D Mark III, Mark II, EOS 20D, 30D and 40D... Of course they have more features, more settings and are larger (easier to handle IMO) but the Rebel carries almost everything you need to take great photos... its the LENS that matters more than the camera on an SLR.

I actually had a photoshoot this weekend and I took my Rebel XT and in case I needed to the family that hired me loaned the their 40D. I have a ALMOST pro level lens on my Rebel and they had a Tamron lens on the 40D... My Rebel outperformed that 40D in almost every aspect (low light setting, it was a Christmas Party)

Just my $0.02 as I love photography as well!

16. CichlidStorm

CichlidStorm Member

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:15 am

Here shows 4 cameras I have or had, I have 3 of the 4, no longer the Nikon L100, i think its a piece of junk for aquaria pics, absolutely NO manual modes.
    digital%2520comparison.jpg

17. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:16 am

Cameras I got I'll pull something like cichlidstorm did on the ones I how own or have own in the resonate (past won't do film)
    Olympus E-520
    Sony Alpha DSLR-A100
    Nikon D1
    Canon EOS 40D
    Canon PowerShot 70

Rick

18. LemonDiscus

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:16 am

I shoot a Canon 350D (Canon Rebel XT)

Correct that you almost MUST override the camera in full Manual or at least manually control some of the cameras 3 main settings (aperture, shutter and ISO)

Shooting with flash sometimes washes out the true colors of the fish... but sometimes is needed... depending on the camera and the shot angle etc...

BTW I kind of like that Kodak camera the best, it has the sharpest image... the Canon runs a close 2nd... it seems the focus on that one is a bit off but the colors pop better...

IME as a photographer Canon is one of the best cameras for "motion and action" whether its animals or sports... Nikon is better for things that dont move...

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

All my photos (can be viewed by clicking the links in my signature) are/were mostly taken with a Kodak Easyshare M883
    <a class="postlink" href="http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/pgm.44254300/productID.145097100?CAWELAID=416112858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/e ... =416112858</a>

Definately not the best of the best..but does get the job done ;)

20. CichlidStorm

CichlidStorm Member

Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:19 pm

Dawn, if you find the SX20is for about 400.00 thats a good price on it. I am working on a DIY diffuser now that should control the over flash for straight on shots.

To the one who said the Kodak took the most crisp pictures, it does, but its EXTREMELY limited on what it can do. The best aquaria camera i have/had is the A560, aim, snap and enjoy basically, BUTTTTT I really am fallin in love with this SX20is. Posting pics in just a sec of it's super macro mode shooting fry that are roughly 1/4"-5/8"