1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Pics for Dawn

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by jrow8162, Dec 7, 2010.

1. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

Here are the pics as requested. Please keep in mind I am not by any means a photographer!!! [icon_cool.gif]
    IMG_4470.JPG

2. jrow8162

More pics
    IMG_4471.JPG IMG_4472.JPG IMG_4472.JPG IMG_4473.JPG IMG_4474.JPG IMG_4475.JPG

3. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Very nice Discus sir. They still got alot of growin to do. Beautiful.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Looking good!
    I want your ram (I unexpectedly lost my gorgeous male) and am left with the icky looking female (or maybe it's the other way around..<--not good at sexing fish unless their livebearers)

5. jrow8162

Your welcome to the Ram!!!:) Send me some of those Discus fry and I'll send him your way! My brother is in the army in basic training so I have all of his fish. That's one of them. I threw it in my tank along with his albino bristle nose pleco and clown loaches. I needed his tank for my Angelfish. I dont think I stunted my Discus. They appear to still be growing. I still only do 1 weekly water change. They are eating beef heart, blood worms and spectrum. I did kill most of my plants though. I need to work on my green thumb a little more. Just haven't got around to buying more plants.

6. jrow8162

Thank you! Took me a while to get a tank full of healthy Discus but I finally worked it out. The blue one in the picture is my first Discus. I've had him for almost a year now. 3 of them are from Hans and the other two I bought from a local guy.

7. WhiteGloveAquatics

they are small for a year, just reaching adulthood but look a little small in the pics.

My 2" ones I ordered in july are pushing 5" now. They look really nice though, I am digging the yellow and green ones.

8. jrow8162

I got a killer deal on the yellow one. The yellow and red ones I got for next to nothing. Gave one of the local stores here a cheap ten gallon setup for them. Then the next day found out they were going out of business.

The smaller ones aren't that old. I've only had them for about 5-6 months. They are catching up slowly but surely.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

To give an estimate mine came from hans too (as you already know jamie) and within a year they doubled from their purchase size...but keep in mind they were being powerfed 4+ times a day. I too did the weekly partials at about maybe 30% ish range and out of all that I've owned I only had that 1 initial runt which I sold off (yes, I told the guy it appeared to be a runt). Haha!

I'd be so scared to ship Discus...but your welcome to come and grab a few if your ever in the area. Got some that are both pinky nail size and some that are a bit bigger than dime size...and then there's the wrigglers that are still with Mom & Dad :)

<Loved my ram (the one with the long fins that were vibrant pink)...unsure if he was a he- or a she...but would love another one exactly like it. You have the altispinosa (sp) just like I do :) Very Pretty, even though I wasn't too fond of them at first.

Ps. With the plants stick to the sword types...they seem to do best (basic Green ones like the amazons). Or at least that's my experience thus far and believe you me..I've tried LOTS of different types. The crypts seem to do really well too with the warm temps. Regardless, you'll just want to make sure you have a good root base and add some api plant tabs just beneath the roots for the best outcome.

Ps. Can you take a full tank shot?? Liking the wood (malaysian?)

10. jrow8162

Yep, I will take one this evening and post it for you...

11. WhiteGloveAquatics

What are you feeding them?

My smaller late bloomers are getting bigger , They get blackworms once every two days and the little ones scarf. I tried beefheart but my discus have turned their noses up at it.

12. jrow8162

I used to feed live black worms but I had one of my discus get a parasite and I assume it was from the worms. The treatment stunted the fish and it died 2 months later. I feed beef heart and frozen blood worms. I also feed them spectrum.

13. jrow8162

Again, not a photographer...
    IMG_4479.JPG IMG_4480.JPG

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wow, that looks nice!
    you've got a bit of what I have in the tank (discus, bristlenose's, clownfish, I've got neons rather than the cardinals though)...for some gawsh darn reason neons do SooOoo much better for me than the cardinals?

If you go with plants I'd try to get a nice well rooted sword plant and stick it just in front middle/back middle of the driftwood :)

Ps. Watch with the live blackworms guys...(unless you have a trusted source). I know I tried them once and ended up with something that looked like planaria about less than a week later. But then again it IS possible that I overfed them with it and that the excess found somewhere to hide amongst the bottom and rotted away in the warm waters?

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

as for feeding mine..I do the variety too,
    but for the most part the community side gets Frozen H20 Life bloodworms and assorted flakes (like NLS freshwater optimum and Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes...I think that's the only food with discus in the title that they'll actually eat and NOT snub).

-And-

the fry get Hikari Frozen Artemia, Decapsulated Baby Brine Shrimp, Azoo 9in1 artificial artemia.

Of course I have tons of other foods that I toss in ... but they get what's listed above as moreso a constant...and the others are moreso randomly added (when I fill like digging in my basket and opening a bag/jar of this or that). LoL!