1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Plant Help for Java Ferns and Sword Plants?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by DanBruv, Jul 31, 2009.

1. DanBruv

DanBruv Thread Starter New Member

My java fern has blacky/browny patches on it how can i get it back to green. My sword plants, the leaves are going see through.

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Re: Plant Help?

The black bumps on the Java Fern are the sex organs for that plant... they are good...

Light levels for the swords would do that... need more lighting either that and/or Fertilizer Tabs would help too! Java Fern does NOT need a lot of light and too much will stunt it...

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

whats your wpg on your lighting?
    should be 2.5-3 for swords

next I'd do as Ryan said...add a fertilizer tab (Seachem Flourish Tab) since it's probably linked to either an iron or potassium defec.

4. LemonDiscus

I agree with the exact problem Dawn... I was thinking Iron myself... And GREAT choice of tabs (I use those and have GREEN Swords even with technically a low light tank (most of the time))

I dont think its lighting though Dawn because the Java Fern that DOES NOT like light is having problems too... unless those are the reproduction spots on the leaves he is referring to.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I was thinking the spots might not be reproduction spots, but browning...deadening of the leaves?
    Without a photo..hard to say

WE NEED A PHOTO! Lol :)

6. LemonDiscus

Agree with Dawn! Photos are needed AND your water parameters in order to solve this problem

Parameters that would be helpful:
    Temp
    PH
    GH
    KH(Alkalinity)
    Lighting in Watts Per Gallon

And of course pictures of both plants to show what you mean. Maybe 1 of the whole layout of the tank also to make sure that the plants are located in a good spot too.

7. angelLuver

angelLuver New Member

hey guys, my amazon swords keep getting brown spots?? and the leaves are turning yellow and holey... any fixes?

thanx,
    cinn

8. LemonDiscus

Brown spots are a lack of nutrients or insufficient lighting... its the plants way of saying something is not right.

Try fert tabs (sechem flourish tabs) and place 1 under each swords root.

Also you need about 1.5 WPG to be successful IME with Amazon Swords.

Lastly be sure to prune off all of the brown leaves on the outside as IT MAY be just the leaves that are dieing for new ones. If you leave the leaves (pardon the pun) the plant still has to provide nutrients to the dieing leaf taking away from nutrients going to the new growth.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

could be lack of potassium also (causes yellowing in older leaves too).
    Can try Flourish Potassium <a class="postlink" href="http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlourishPotassium.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.seachem.com/Products/product ... ssium.html</a>

Refresh my memory as to what is all in that tank (fish and snails can cause the pinholes in the leaves also).