1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Article plastic milk containers prove useful for aquatic use

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by noshow discus, Jul 12, 2009.

1. noshow discus

noshow discus Thread Starter New Member

afar as the bucket for changing water inyour tank <sorry forgot which post it was in> if you drink milk like we do here <3 gallons a week , wife says buying a cow would be cheaper :) > save the gallon container it comes in wash it real good and use it to take water back to the tank nifty little handle on a plastic jug that equals a gallon of water, use it fill it back up treat it but the cap on it and you have some already set up for the next water change.

2. Leslie

Leslie New Member

we drink a gal a day. my kids love milk for some reason. do i run just really hot water in it?? i was using a water jug i got from the store.

3. noshow discus

noshow discus Thread Starter New Member

oh if you have a setup already then dont worry about it was just making a suggestion i used milk jugs for the longest time.
    i just rinsed them 3 times real good then filled em with hot water and let it sit for a day or two then rinsed one more time and used.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

If you use pitchers or a bucket there will be more of a gas to air exchange. ie, chlorine excaping the water in its gaseous form.

5. Leslie

Leslie New Member

so basicly a bucket would be better than using a jug??? i cant lift a bucket.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

For your five gallon I would use a pitcher, a bucket would be overkill for the smaller tank, and luckily most pitchers are a gallon and have a nice little spout to keep the water from flying into your cable box or any other electronic device you should not have around your tank :) .

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Please note that this isn't necessary because you treat your water with prime. If you were sure that your water was the same all the time and only contained chlorine this method would work and you wouldn't have to treat your water.