1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Possible Fish To Put In My 10 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by California Cowgirl, Feb 20, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

Possible Fish To Put In My 10 gallon tank
    OK, so i want to add more to my 10 gallon next week. All i have in there are my adf's and 2 my two marigolds. I' thinking but not sure about moving my 6 adf's and 2 marigolds into my 5 gallon tank. I think my Marigolds would be fine as they are lazy fish.

So what i might want:
    3 sliver tip tetras
    3 neon tetras
    and possibly 3 cherry barbs

and for my adf's is 1 gallon per frog, so i may split them up, some in my 5 gallon and some in my 10 gallon, also any other stocking ideas would be great

2. California Cowgirl

i was reading ths site <a class="postlink" href="http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Stocking_a_10_Gallon_Tank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Stocking ... allon_Tank</a> and it says a africian butterflyfish could go in a 10 gallon tank. Petco sells them for about $12 online and i really like the look of the fish <a class="postlink" href="http://www.petco.com/product/102899/African-Butterflyfish.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.petco.com/product/102899/Afr ... yfish.aspx</a> do you think it is possible for them to fit in a 10 gallon tank

3. California Cowgirl

orrrrrrr i heard that they do good in a saltwater tank, could i possibly put it in with my puffer, which i think the tank right now is brackish but i can always add more salt to it, and i don't think my puffer will mess with a fish that size

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

As we've said before. Your tank is fully stocked, probably overstocked as it stands now. Unless you remove the frogs I wouldn't recommend putting any other fish in that tank.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I suggest you spend the extra 20 bucks and get another ten gallon tank, or even go big and get a used 40 gallon lol

6. California Cowgirl

lol if i were to get another tank, especially bigger my parents would kick me out what i'm thinking of doing since they would need at least a 20 gallon, is try to find my puffer a new home, completley clean and empty the tank, get a few feeder fish and let them cycle for about 2 weeks, and for the ones that survive can always be some food for the butterfly, and i saw the ones that could be in saltwater was a different kind of butterfly i think

7. California Cowgirl

leopeard fish and african butterfly fish in a 20 gall high? I think you guys will say no

8. California Cowgirl

think i found a perfect match for my puffer! instead of rearanging all my fish and frogs i was thinking about possibly getting a freswhater flounder. The site that sells them says they don't get bigger than a silver dollar so i may hve room for 1 or 2

9. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i have not had experience a flounder with a lot of hiding places might work and its not a good idea to cycle with feeders because they tend to carry diseases i would say get a guppy or two and garentee it to be desease free

10. California Cowgirl

ok, i think i will end up keeping everything as is and just get 1 maybee 2 of the flounders and if the puffer causes problems i would possibly try to find him a home

11. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

well, no matter what size tank you go with, if you get an african butterfly, remember to keep it completely covered. They can and will jump. I was somewhat interested in these guys for a little while, but the more I read up on them, the more I realized that they would be a bad idea. People would come home to find their African butterfly fish either flopping around on the floor, or already dead. They are also aggressive and will eat any fish that will fit in their mouth. You're going to be extremely limited in what you do with a 10 gallon. In my ten gallon I have 4 Celestial danios, 1 adult male and 4 fry endlers, and 4 cory Habrosus. These fish all get to around the 1" or less mark. Instead of going with say 1 african butterfly (it will eat tetras etc.), why not go with a small school of small fish. Try out school of smaller tetras (neons and the like). It'll be more interesting to look at then the one fish, and much more colorful!

12. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

baby neons here are 20 for 5 i might get acouple and have a huge school of em lol

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

wait 20 fish or 20 bucks?????

14. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

20 fish :) :)

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

20 Neon Tetras for $5.00 ? That's a great deal. Last time I looked they were almost $2.00 a fish.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Man is that a good deal! Send some of them my way! I'd even pay a buck a clip for them, but at my lfs they are 1.99 each.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

holy cow, I wish I could get a deal like that on guppies!!! The only cheap fish out where I live are feeders. other then that your hard press to find any thing under a dollar.

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

While we're getting off topic here... At PetCo once I got 10 Blackskirt Tetras that were almost $5.00 a piece for $10.00 after a discount for having a PetCo card. :D

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I did that too! Petco dollar days sale! Gotta love it!
    We are soo off topic, lol!