1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Possible to edit a Trading Post thread

Discussion in 'Site News / Feedback / Questions' started by James0816, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James0816

James0816 Thread Starter New Member

Sure would be nice to be able to EDIT your sale thread when you have changes to it. Would make things easier and cleaner looking.

J.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

you can edit, but I know what your asking..a longer edit time/availability for x days or something of that nature.

If you edit it wouldn't show as a new post/update...so actually it would make things more difficult for those browsing the forum as it wouldn't show/alert users of a new post/thread/topic.

Why not just do a follow-up post "x" remaining...or "x" is no longer available?

or technically if you wanted you could post a seperate thread for each item and once gone post sold and it will be removed, thus keeping your availabilty more current (may be a bit more of a pain in the butt though compared to using the above method).

Just my thoughts, I'm sure Anthony will have his own when he pops on :)

3. James0816

Just think it's more "cleaner" to be able to have the one main posting (such as the way I have it now). And then that post can be modified accordingly.

With that, the poster would then add a new comment stating something to the effect of updated or such.

This way you can control things much better with quantities, pricing, etc. Instead of having an individual post everytime.

Also...for running posts such as this one....once you archive them, you can't even do a copy and paste to get the original format back. Have to go back and manually recreate the entire posting again.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I dunno, I still find it easier the way it is? But maybe that's just me.
    Being you'd have to add a comment stating updated or something of that effect I think it's pretty much the same as adding a comment stating "x" remaining. But again, that's just my opinion.

And I know it can be a drag with the archive deal, as I've even dealt with it initially...but allow me to offer a suggestion (one I quickly learned to use)...copy and paste your listing into a word document and save it somewhere you can easily find it...then just copy and paste when you need to relist :)

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

There is a 5 minute limit on editing ANY thread. This is so things don't change without everyone else knowing. When a thread is edited it does not again show as "Unread". No one would know to go back and open the topic to see what changed.

6. James0816

Yeah, I know about the five minute period.

And I have just started using Notepad and saved a copy of the post.

Just a hassle that's all and merely a suggestion.

Like I said, it's just to keep things cleaner. Such as price changes and such so that you don't have different posts with different prices, terms, quanties and such.

:rolleyes:

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

As I said. An edit does not appear as "unread" to users so and edit you would make for pricing etc would go unnoticed.

8. James0816

Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:38 am

Not sure why you locked the thread.

I know edit threads don't appear as being edited. The poster would have the ability to maintain it better.

That's all I was suggesting. Not trying to be difficult or cause any strife here. Just wanted to make a good suggestion.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:09 am

it was probably locked because a response was given regarding the request.
    but regardless, I'll be merging this into the original topic.

10. James0816

Sry.. a response wasn't given.

And that's another thing...the constant merging of posts. Sry guys...it's just not happening.

All I did was ask a simple question. Didn't see any harm in that at all.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Actually A Response was given, almost immediately.

and Anthony did reply also:.
    I understand it's apparently not what you wanted to hear, but it was a response none the less.

And merging is necessary, when it's related to an existing topic there's no need for a a ton of the same topics that deal with the same exact thing across the boards. And I know Anthony will back me up on this because we had this discussion already regarding merging.

And there was absolutely no harm in asking, if we didn't want members input then we would have created a topic where they could feel free to make suggestions (of which we do discuss over and decide what we feel is best for the forum). It's simply we don't agree with changing the timer options on the trading post as we feel it's just as simple to update it with stating "x" remaining rather than constantly having to go back to read and figure out what the edit/modification to the already existing post was/is.

And if you think this is just my opinion, you can absolutely feel free to ask Anthony what his is on the matter, as a matter of fact I'll link him here so he can feel free to express his opinions on the matter being it is HIS forum.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

James, you were given an answer. We can all see it's one you didn't like or agree with but that's how it is, like it or not.

If a topic is locked it's locked for a reason. Do not create another thread discussing the same thing looking for another answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.