1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Guppy pregnant female guppy hiding

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by Anonymous, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

My 1 guppy is pregnant for sure and i think she has been before i got her but now all of a sudden shes hiding in a cave and not coming out like the other do yall think shes about to have the babies? im not sure im kinda new to think kinda stuff [dancing]

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

check the gravid spot. Is the belly looking bloated and extending/protruding on the sides? (look between front fins to where the base of the ?tail begins).
    Also when pregnant you may see flashing (rubbing) to incourage delivery or females may stay low (near substrate). Fry will be born alive and free swimming and can/will be eaten by other fish..including the mother.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yes i see all of those things i put her in the breeder/fry box i will only keep her in there for 24 hours or so if not ill let her go.. and try it again in a few days.. but shes just acting WAY weird thats why i think shes ready. *censored* even my wife is excited and she dont care for animals :)

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol, typically they won't eat when they are ready to deliver ...just so you know. forgot to add that to the prior.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Okay thank you.. i hope i wake up and have babies ;)

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Your welcome! Hopefully you will :)
    ALso, next time you have a pregnant female and want to place her in a breeder net...make sure you put in a small piece of java moss for the fry (it will make them feel safe and give them somewhere to hide).

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

My tank is set up with so many hiding places that I allow my females to birth in the tank. I have not had any culling at all. The older fish and mother could careless after. They do not even chase them...LOL!! I guess I am lucky.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Still no babies she has a big black spot and looks like shes ready to BUSt so i dunno whats going on with her lol i think im going to go ahead and put together the 10g so when she has the fry ill put them in there. how much does the clear pump hose cost? i have a new pump but it didnt come with a hose ahh i was SO mad i didnt read the box bc i was in a hurry :oops:

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

airline hose/tubing...really cheap. about $2 something for 8'
    You can get that at Wal-mart.

10. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Its pretty cheap down here but no id how that is in america :confused:

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i went ahead and put the prego female back in the tank with the others.. but i am going to still build up the 10g so i can put some of the babies in there....im going to put some plants in my big tank here in a few minutes as well.. ;)

12. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Great that gives the newborn fry more places to hide.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yuppers. natural is the best way to go!

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

you know what i did instead of putting the plants in the 10g i went ahead and put them in the big tank so when they have babies they have places to hide so now they have caves and plants :D

15. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Great this seems fine ;)

16. fuzzer41

fuzzer41 New Member

You want to keep the female as calm as possible, with little or no change to the tank.