1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Pregnant Molly (Advice Wanted)

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by Anonymous, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Momma fish
    Ok, so I need help.. again.
    Momma Molly is still preggers, and looks as though she is about to burst at the seams. My new BFF at the fish store assures me, she wont. The other night, one (who knows which) of my random angel fish laid eggs on the filter tube, by morning, they were gone.. well, now.. it looks like one of them is expecting again. Either that, or I am feeding them too much. I managed to give away 4 of them today, so now I'm down to only 6.. I'd like to try to save the Mollies when they are born, but I dont think I have the energy to take care of both at once. Has anyone taken care of Molly fry before?? If so, do I put her in the net BEFORE she pops?? Or try to wrangle them after?

Maybe I should go back to Beta's and goldfish. [banghead]

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Re: Momma fish

Mollies are livebearers, their fry are too big for them to eat (not saying other tank inhabitants won't eat them though).

Sometimes they'll stress if ya move them into a net (pregnant females)...If theres nothing else in there putting them in harms way (nothing besides other mollies, snails) I'd put some floating plants at the top for them to hide in and cover the intake of the filter with a pre-filter sponge and you'll be good to go.

IF theres other inhabitants (other than the ones I listed) then I would go the breeder net route since they will most definately harrass her (pregnant female) when she's giving birth in attempts to eat the fry. They'll just see them as tasty live food to chase!

If she looks like she's about to bust and appears in stress slowly bump the heat a degree or two and it will set her into labor. I had to do that in the past with an overpregnant swordtail.

Feed them crushed flake (rub it between your fingers until it becomes powdered) and feed them several times a day. Artemia and Hikari first bites will work great..Just watch cuz you'd be amazed how much you get from a tiny speck of that stuff!

Good Luck!

3. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

If you have a male and a female expect more babies to come :)

Dawn provided all of the info needed before I was able to :mad:

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

HeHe..sorry Guido!

5. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I'd almost pluck you but just before i did I realized id get it back twice possibly three times as much :)

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

*hugs guido* My lil boy is FINALLY learning. Lol!

7. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

After years and year s( maybe just a month) of plucking I finnaly know thast I just cant stop you from doing it. I'll just have to find another way around it :)

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol, you go ahead and try that Guido. *evil smirk*
    <--did ya see..I'm a bouncy lion!
    For easter I'ma be a chick

9. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Something like this?

Then Ima get a kick ass easter bunny.. :)

Btw the word ''Kip'' Means chicken :)
    1223621995kuiken.jpg

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

lol, poor kiddo

11. drazzill

drazzill New Member

dawn wrapped it up in a nut shell for ya

12. AKGEO

AKGEO Member

Yep.
    I would suggest getting two breeder nets if you want to raise all of the fry.

Let momma do her thing in net 1, then move her to net 2 for a few days to recover.

As the fry get larger, move half of them in to net 2 and when they outgrow both, into the tank they go. All I use is Hikari first bites, and then of course to crushed flake.

I also will dip the nets under the water slightly every couple of days to wash out the scum/protien on top of the water on the inside of the breeder nets, to keep them clean.