1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Puffer keeps hitting the ground and white spot on fin

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by California Cowgirl, May 7, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

Ok, something is seriously wrong with my puffer. I fed him today and he was fine, he's usually a bit bloated for a while, and should go down tomorrow. But i noticed soemthing worng, he keeps hitting the ground then going back up like he's ok. I noticed a white spot on one of his fins, and it's never been there before, i'm going to do a 30% wc and see how he looks tomorrow. And he is black on his side that separates his top from his bottom. I'm really worried, what should i do

2. California Cowgirl

I seriously think he's going to die tonight, he keeps on bumping into everything and theres nothing that i can do for him :****(

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

to me, sounds like you may be dealing with ich...the black coloration is typically from the puffer being ill and usually (as you already are finding out) means it's close to death.

Test that water right away, do you have a quarantine (might be a thought to use it if so).

5. California Cowgirl

i do have a quaratine but it's freshwater, with him being by himself i didn't even think of getting a sw qaratine, i did had a plastic hamster tube in the tank to see if he would go through the tunnel which before i put it in i had it soaking in the bath tub with hot water for an hour and i just took it out to see if it could be that. He seems to be a bit better after i just did the water change, but i'm still worried. And i don't have an ich treatment so if he survives the night he'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to get the treatment

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

check the link I sent, I know for a fact the black coloration is bad.
    If the only new thing you did recently was add the tube I'd pull it (quite possibly some soap or bleach residue left behind in the tub?). Did you also add prime to the water it was soaking in and then dip it in a saltwater mix since I know your tank is officially saltwater now?

Also, have you tested your water to make sure their isn't something that's being missed?

7. California Cowgirl

i'm reading the link right now, once in a while he does turn partially black but then goes back to perfect white, which a while ago i read that it's good that the color changes once in a while so long it goes back to white, which it usually does. You could be right about the possiblity of bleach, and i dont have any prime. And tomorrow when i get the ich treatment and prime i'll make sure i'll get the water tested

8. California Cowgirl

and even though it seemed like he was doing a bit better he was having a lot of trouble swimming by the protein skimmers current is, which he had no problem before. And before i fed him his bloodworms i gave him a cricket and he refused, which he never does. I'll let you guys know how he is tomorrow.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if hes having issues with the protein skimmers current shut it off until you get the water tested tomorrow. Don't buy anything (besides prime) until you get the water tested. Your answer may lie there.

10. California Cowgirl

ok, and i just looked at him just now and he seems to be doing sooooooo much better. His black is almost gone, and he's not bumping into anything. I also saw him poop just saw him poop half an hour ago and it was bright red, like that of his bloodworms, and this is my first time seeing him poop in the year i've owned him but in his tank his poops are dark. But i'll still get the water tested tomorrow and try to find some prime. Ok now i'm off to bed. And i'll let you know the results tomorrow, and i'll also test the water myself tomorrow as well

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sounds like a good plan!

12. California Cowgirl

alright so he's doing good, i just woke up, he looks like he's swimming perfect and all of his black is gone, he still has the spot on his fin though, so at least he's not in as serious condition as he was last night

13. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I'd watch closely for more white spots cuse dawn said theres a change he has ick

14. California Cowgirl

Yea I plan on getting some prime and ick later today

15. California Cowgirl

so i just got some prime and ich treatment and put some in his tank, how long should i keep on doing this for?

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You use Prime EACH time to add water to your tank. I hope you got ich treatment for saltwater and NOT freshwater fish !

17. California Cowgirl

i looked at all the ich treatments at petco and none of them were just for saltwater but all were for both fresh and saltwater use, so i hope it works

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Freshwater ich and saltwater ich are not the same. Freshwater ich is Ichthyophthirius multifiliis and saltwater is Cryptocaryon. If the treatment you purchased uses copper you're in big trouble. You will never be able to use that tank to house any type of inverts

I want to stress the fact that you need to be VERY careful with your water parameters. If you cause too much of a swing in salinity this will stress out the puffer causing health problems, not only ich.

19. California Cowgirl

ok, the stuff the i ended up buying was Kordon rid ich + disease treatment

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Won't work for saltwater ich. "It is effective on troublesome "white spot" (ichthyohthirius) of fresh water fishes."