1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

question regarding evaporation occuring within tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by caronsd, Aug 6, 2008.

1. caronsd

caronsd Thread Starter New Member

Water lvl drop

Is it normal for your water level to drop almost 1/4" in a day? I have no leaks or anything, but I do have a relatively open top with a fountain filter.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, that's normal. Even with my tank being mostly covered I get evaporation. On my large ciclid tank that has two Aqua Clear 110's I get a lot more because it's open about 2" along the whole back of the tank.

3. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Yep perfectly normal. Of course the amount will depend on how open the tank is and how dry the air in your house is

4. caronsd

caronsd Thread Starter New Member

Oh okay good, I spent all night looking for leaks last night lol. So basically i have a fish tank and a humidifier. Sweet! lol

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

LoL yeah, it's a 2 in one. :)

Just wait until you switch over to heat for the winter. You'll have to put water in the tank at least every other day.

6. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

also depends on the temp of your house the Ac heat how close it is to a door or a window amount of sunlight if any and the Big factor is.........
    How much your fish drink in a day :)

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

definately normal, lighting wattage and room temp also plays a factor in evaporation. I use glass canopies over my aquariums to reduce the rate of evaporation in my tanks.

8. combatdat

combatdat New Member

once i started not running my airpumps non stop my evaporation went down alot. Still have it just not alot.

9. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

You would think there would be more evaporation with the air on all yhe time

Rick

10. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

never mind I read it wrong