1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

question regarding regenerating purigen & buffer

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by eeyipes, Sep 23, 2008.

1. eeyipes

eeyipes Thread Starter New Member

Time to regenerate my Purigen ... question though ...

Will I be ok if I skip the buffer soak for a freshwater tank? Is there some cheapy household item I can use instead of Seachem's recommended stuff? I don't have any of the buffers they recommended and would have to order them online.

Thanks!

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Do you mean a pH buffer ?

After reading the directions on mine that's what I assume it means. I would think you should be fine skipping that part.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

not sure if this helps, but heres the info I got about regenerating purigen...
    During the regeneration process you soak the Purigen in a 50-50 solution of water-bleach. After that stage is done you soak it in a dechlorinator, to remove the chlorine from bleach. Prime is recommended as a SAFE product to use during the regeneration process. Amine based polymer products are toxic with this product.
    The seller who I purchased mine from told me Aquarium Pharm's Stress Coat is a definate No No with this product due to it being Amine based & also gave me a paper which reads "Do not use any amine based product in your tank if you wish to regenerate Purigen. It will render Purigen unregenerable and if you attempt to regenerate, because the amines bind to the resins, when you place the Purigen in chlorine bleach, you will then make the Purigen toxic."

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks for thr advice dawn, I was wondering the same thing!

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

No problem ;)