1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

questions regarding otocinclus food

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by alpinefish, Dec 10, 2009.

1. alpinefish

alpinefish Thread Starter New Member

I bought some otos recently, and want to feed them zuchini(sp?), because that's what I've read that they like. So far, I've put it in there fresh, and all it does is grow fuzz on it after only 12 hours or so. Do I need to cook it? If so, how do I cook it? Why is it growing fuzz? Needless to say, the otos aren't eating it, but they have fat round tummies, and the brown stuff growing on the wisteria's gone, so they're not starving.

Thanks for the help

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

what's your waters temp?
    i feed sliced zucchini, cucumber, sodium free rinsed french cut green beans, hikari algae tabs, etc to my algae eaters (bn plecos) & have never had issues with fuzz....and that has been in temps of 74-86.5F

3. alpinefish

The temp. is sitting at around 75-76.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

hmm...and I'm assuming it was fresh when placed in the water?
    Are we talking white cottony fuzzy...or just mushy food per say?

5. James0816

James0816 New Member

If it is turning "fuzzy" after 12 hours....something is out of whack with your tank parms. What is your maintenance routing like? Slices should last a few days before being all mushy and you'll have to remove them.

To prep it, you can do one of two things.

1) Clean very well. Slice into 1/4 inch slices and freeze
    2) Clean very well. Slice into 1/4 inch slices. Blanch in boiling hot water for ~ 1-2 minutes. Then freeze.

I prefer the second method as it makes them softer. Of course, I'm feeding fry so it needs to be softer for them to rasp on.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Hey James, I knew this one was right up your alley!

I have to add, that I just clean and slice (zuchinni & cucumber) and into the tank it goes. The same goes with the canned french cut green beans!

I know to weigh down the zuchinni & cucumber others have used the back of fork handles amongst other things, but I use these spiral veggie holders that I got off ebay (blanking on the actual name of them right now).

I usually get about 3 days on average with the zuchinni and 4 or more on the cucumber (when I stick a slice in the 10g).

7. alpinefish

I've done the whole wash n toss in the tank. My water parameters are all normal, according to the water test strips. (I know...I should use the other kind, but I'm still learning)

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

can you provide a photo showing what you are describing as the fuzziness?

9. James0816

James0816 New Member

I'm pretty sure I know what he's referring to. Whitish-cottonish look correct?

What is your maintenance schedule like?

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

that's what I thought at first (kinda like when you have food that has set on the bottom of the tank too long), but then I began to think of a slice of zuchinni that has that mushy - falling apart look and began to wonder.

11. James0816

James0816 New Member

Exactly. This is a sign of a water quality issue. Been down that road before.

Under normal situations, it should just deteriorate like you mentioned. But, if it fuzzes up after a short period...bad water quality.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

oh I completely agree with ya James.
    But I was wondering if it was possible that he/she's referring to the mushyness

13. alpinefish

Nope...looked like it grew cottony fur on the skin of the zucchini. I took it out before it fell apart. I'm going to try putting a frozen piece in there, and see what happens.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if you don't have a liquid test kit and can't afford one right now I'd suggest taking the water to your lfs and having them test it.

15. alpinefish

All they use at the store is the same strips that I bought. I figured, since they were using them, they must be accurate.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

well they give you a general idea...they definately aren't 100% accurate though. In the past I used the api freshwater (I think they were 5 in 1 or something like that) and when I compared it to the bottle readings there was a definate difference (not huge, but definately different).

white fuzz/cotton on food is bacteria or fungus (mold). Usually something you see when overfeeding (food sits in the tank long periods of time dormant). But if your cycled, water is testing "normal", and doing normal water husbandry on a regular basis (ie. water changes, media replacement as needed, monthly filter cleanings, adding a dechlorinator every time you add water) I'm not sure what to think.

Somewhere along the lines something is definately amiss!
    now for the bombardment of questions to find out what is amiss:

Is this tank cycled?
    what are the actual readings that you're getting from the strips?
    partials done weekly? in what amount and what size tank is this?
    water temp steady?
    dechlorinator added every time water is added/replaced?
    filtration and media? (type)
    adding any products to your water besides dechlorinator..if so what?

17. James0816

James0816 New Member

Maintenance is the key here. That's what's causing it foul quickly. It's due to bad water quality. That's not a dig on you as a keeper. I've had this occur before in my Oto tank. It happens. A couple good water changes and you'll be back before you know it.

But would be good info to know your maintenance scheduling.

18. alpinefish

It's only a 10 gallon tank.

I do a weekly water change of 2-3 gallons or so, to suck up the muck off the bottom.

We have softened well water--don't have chlorine in the water, but I put a dechlorinator in anyways (do I need to?), and I don't change the water unless I know that the water softener ran the night before (otherwise, the water would turn this mucky orange color)

The filter is a whisper 5-15, it came with the aquarium (bought it as a kit)

Temp is steady.

I must be doing something right...the fish all look healthy :)

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sounds about right, I have a 10g also...although mine has tap water and I have to add dechlorinator. how long have you had yours up and running?

I don't know much about well water other than it doesn't have chloramine or chlorine, so the only thing I could say on it is to test it and see what it reads (of course before adding dechlorinator or anything to it).

through VERY light reading up on softened well water it seems that certain areas (ie farmlands) can have high levels of nitrates, whereas other (non- farmlands) have reported high levels of iron.

quickly reading my bottle of prime I'd suggest to still add it to be on the safe side (unless you really know what is and isn't in your water).

Quick link to the dechlorinator I use & a fast number to Seachem in case you'd like to call them and get there 2 cents. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.seachem.com/Products/product ... Prime.html</a>
    888-SEACHEM [toll free]

20. James0816

James0816 New Member

I'm on well water as well and use Prime. No water softener here though. Well water most likely contains heavy metals though. Using the Prime will help to take care of them. Two drops/gallon if you decide to use it.