1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

questions regarding unusual algae growth

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by LemonDiscus, Dec 14, 2008.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Unusual Algae Growth

Question:

I have a line of algae about 2/3 of the way up from the bottom on the front glass of my tank. It is a straight line and I have cleaned the glass 2 times before and it has been like this for 2 weeks (including the other 2 cleanings).

This is something my logic finds odd. What would cause the algae to grow like this?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It goes the whole length of the tank, right ?

3. LemonDiscus

Across the front, yes... the sides I dont always clean and the back I rarely clean so... they have normal growth.... plus the things in the tank I dont really clean either...

So this is just on the front glass all the way across (6 foot).

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think it has something to do with the light reflecting off the substrate. My tank does that too. I get about 3" of algae growth on the front of my tank from the bottom.

5. LemonDiscus

I could see that.... this is a new development though.... well, maybe not as I am running different lighting now than I was 2 weeks ago....

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

This is on the 125 right ? That you have like 1000 watts of lighting over. :)

7. LemonDiscus

yes it is on the 125, but with only 2 bulbs running.