1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

red zebra holding?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by logan mackrell, Jan 23, 2013.

1. logan mackrell

logan mackrell Thread Starter Member

I've noticed lately that my male red zebra hasn't been out much and I looked closely and his throat it puffed out I'm wondering if he's holding eggs

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Anyway that you could snap a pic?

3. logan mackrell

no:( but i actually found out its a female and she definitley has fry in her mouth. i looked closely and i could see them when she opens her mouth. i heard i should let her spit in the tank, but will there be any chances of the fry surviving?

4. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

What else is in the tank? I was asking for a pic since as far as I know the male does not typically hold....glad you she is holding :)

5. logan mackrell

i have about 17 or 18 fish. mostly mbuna, but a few peacocks they range from # to 5 inches

6. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the fry......if there's enough small hiding places in the tank and she releases them, few/some should make it. When I had mbunas, had a female that released in the main tank and about 6-8 survive. The next time she was holding we put her in a 10g and she released 32 fry.

7. logan mackrell

ok cool. there should be plenty of hiding places in the tank:). how will i feed them when they come out? will the brown algae in the tank be enough until they can eat the pellets? (ive got alot of algea btw)

8. buzz4520

On feeding the fry....we grounded up some pelets & flakes to a powder like substance and mix some up with tank water the use a turkey baster (new one,bought just for fry feeding) to squirt it where the fry mainly out.

9. logan mackrell

oh ok thats a good idea. is it a good idea to get a fry trap and scoop them up after they are spat and put them in it until they are big enough for the main tank?

10. buzz4520

A breeder box/fry trap will be ok, we've done that too. The only problem is, if she spits/releases them in the main tank and you want to catch them, they are super fast tiny buggers. We tried to net some fry from our main tank one time and ended up stripping out all the decor to catch them.

11. logan mackrell

ya that was what i predicted. so ill try to catch some and if not ill just hope for the best

12. Haley Wolter

Haley Wolter New Member

How is she?

13. buzz4520

The last batch of fry that we had was from a red zebra(f)/o.b. red zebra(m) & we left them in the main tank and let nature take its course, ended up with about 6 survive. We eventually took the females out and put them in their own tank.

14. Haley Wolter

Haley Wolter New Member