1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Restarted Guppy/Endler Project

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MasterBlue, Dec 17, 2011.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

(Pics of my limited stock will soon follow)

So, I was working towards an attempt at the creation of my own, unique line of Guppy/Endler Hybrid, but with few tanks, and little knowledge, I was destined to fail.

This said, I wouldn't have made it very far, but I had an illness wipe out all my work, and nearly wipe out my "pure stock" Tiger Endlers and Black Bar Endler's. I've got one BB Endler left, and just a hand-full of the Tigers. The males seem to still have an illness associated with them, so I'll likely cull the line I have and get some from AdrianHD. I'll do this with both lines.
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_endler_100_0955_1.jpg -Tiger from before the "collapse"

I'll build myself a stand that can hold 9 ten gallons, divided into two partitions. May make a smaller division in the center that will house scud shrimp, making sure the walls are made of a mesh that the fry of the guppy cannot pass, but will allow small scuds and water to move freely. This is done for fry food, as well as a biological method of tank cleaning. Java moss will be used in this division.

2. MasterBlue

ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_th_Christina_02.jpg

My males from my last line. May make an attempt at recovering this progress. But not very likely.

3. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Personally I am not for hybridization but to each his own :)

4. MasterBlue

I'll maintain pure Endler Stock, but the Tiger Endler's are already hybrids.
    And several hybrid creatures are bred for commercial and economical reasons. Like the Seedless watermellon. But I actually liked the seeds, so maybe that wasn't a good example? lol
    Beefalo is a good one. Ever eat it? Give it a try, it's fantastic!

And Mules. horse/donkey hybrid. And they are good farm beasts of burden.

Sorry ^^; I have a secondary passion for hybrid genetic study. Right under teaching and behavioral biology. But right above video games. he he he.

But, you have to admit. A lot of g1 hybrids are amazing looking!

5. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Unfortunately no I don't feel as though any hybrid is amazing looking. I just don't care for hybrids, I believe in preserving the genetic integrity of animals, but like I said to each his own.

6. MasterBlue

Ok, ok. I'll drop it =P

So, my current plans are to have sponge filters in the tanks, bare bottom, with potted plants. I'll have two tanks undivided and these will be my Pure Stock tanks. BB Endlers in one, and likely Tiger Endlers in the other. I'm fond of the Tigers, and I think my goal my be to breed Blue Tigers and Blue Endler. I like the color blue, lol. AdrianHD has some Blue Hybrid Endlers, may order some from him. Work them into the line for color.

7. MasterBlue

ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_th_101_1065.jpg

My current blue male, who was given to me by another breeder. May use him if he survives that long (hes about 2 years old according to his last owner).

I think the goal will be Endler Body, small fins and blue with the tiger markings. Likelihood of achieving goal? Not very, lol

8. MasterBlue

ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_fishhh.png
    One of my fish. Endler x Grass Guppy

9. MasterBlue

What do you guys recommend for substrate for Cory's?

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I've used Tahitian Moon, Pool Filter Sand, & Eco-Complete with no negative effects. They seem to prefer the sand though over my experience with the Eco-complete (eco-complete seemed to be too heavy for them to sift)...meaning more actively sifting around using their barbels.

And YES, I know sand substrates aren't recommended for bottom dwellers but they (mine) seem to prefer it...breed...and haven't had any issues such as abdomen abrasions or damage to their barbels (?sp).

11. MasterBlue

I remember then need sand to keep there barbs from getting hurt. I'm trying to get a good ballance between my plants and Cory.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

eco's supposed to be for the plants (I had nothing but positive experience with it)..I just can't say my cories seemed thrilled with it.

Maybe try meeting in the middle...do maybe the back half of the tank with eco and plant it up...and leave the front half of the tank with sand for the corys (plus it'd make it easier to siphon being most of your food/waste would be towards the front if you do a descent slope...and I don't have great water pressure and find it much easier to siphon sand clean with the python no spill clean n' fill).

Just my 2cents though.

13. MasterBlue

Better than my no cents, lol
    I like that idea. It's what I'll do =D
    Now, to order some offa the interwebs, lol

14. MasterBlue

So, some rather rare moments of exceptional clarity and now I'm going to just combine my fish into one tank and set up Triops tanks again, lol.

I'm way too under-funded for what I'm trying, so until further notice this project is suspended again. I'll make some posts on the other tanks as they come to be. Until then, happy new year =D

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

haha! enjoy the guppies and the variety of babies...lucky you with the standard pH.
    I tried keeping the fancies with my low pH and had little luck :(

Can't ever said I tried triops, but they really aren't my sort of thing..I like color and variety.
    Have a safe & happy new years kiddo and post some picts one the babies get of size :)

16. MasterBlue

=3 I'll have things to post in a few days, I'll prolly make 2 or three topics about just random tanks. My Guppy Community Tank (Planted), Triops tanks (at least for now 3 different ones, not planted), Daphnia/Cyclops tank(or I may just mention it, since it's just a food grow tank, one potted plant), and a Fairy Shrimp tank(Likely the same as the Daphnia tank)