1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

returning to hobby of youth

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by chunkslabdog, Apr 23, 2011.

1. chunkslabdog

chunkslabdog Thread Starter New Member

I am returning to fish as a hobby after many years.....my 55 gallon tank will be arriving this weekend. I am very interested in adding "angels" to the tank and would like to find a local breeder in Richmond or the area. Any suggestions for sites or any experienced "angel" persons with advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Any "setup" advice, color of gravel, plants, companion fish, etc.... Thanks in advance and look forward to the forum and my re-establishing a hobby of my youth.

2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

welcome.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Hello chunkslabdog and welcome to THE EXOTIC FISH forum : our friendly & family oriented forum that focuses in on the proper care of wet pets.

;) We are glad that you have found us and can only hope that you make yourself feel right at home with the rest of us.

[icon_question.gif] If you find yourself needing HELP at any point and time please feel free to contact:
    -> myself - Mod_Dawn
    -> our site owner- Anthony
    ...and we’d be glad to assist you in any way that we can.

[*]To get started I suggest you first create your Profile

-> Please note that your avatar should be no larger than 120x120 pixels and any photo/photos that you post to the forum will need to be below 400kb.

[*]Afterwards, you can follow the link below to our Photography / Video section and post your own photos / videos if you have any readily available!
    Aquarium Photos - Show off your Tank Forum

[*] Finally, you can browse through the topics and add your own experiences or thoughts & even post your own unique topic!

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Ps.
    I have plenty of angels I was looking to place, but unfortunately AM NOT in the Virgina area (Pittsburgh).

I can tell you that I find ANY fish tends to display better in a natural looking setup...so my 2 cents would be a earth (eco-complete) or beach (pool filter sand, Tahitian moon if you like black) like substrate, some nice tall plants for them to swim/hide between (like vals), and maybe a piece of driftwood just for aesthetics.

Being your just getting back into the hobby be sure to add a freshwater test kit (api has a nice one), siphon (python no spill clean n' fill is my personal favorite - hooks to sink), quality dechlorinator (Seachem Prime- only takes a little and best bang for the buck), submersible heater (the black Aqueon Pro's seem to performing well for me), and a thermometer (I like the tom digital ones with the probe since they'll alert you if the temp is too high/too low...which helps with knowing when your heater is shot) to your shopping list.

Oh, and in case you weren't aware... theres relatively new "instant" cycle products out in the market. I've used TLC Start Smart and Tetra's Safe Start and haven't had any negatives to report.

And last but not least,
    If your considering ordering online and don't happen to find someone local give Aquabid a go OR Angelfish plus

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome. What part of VA ?

6. chunkslabdog

Southwest of Richmond, 45 minutes from the southside area down 460.

7. Ben

Ben New Member

Welcome to the site. I don't think the person I know with Angels is still active on here but you can try pming FishVixen. She is in the richmond area and has a large variety of angels.

8. chunkslabdog

No luck finding a site...if anyone knows how to get in contact with this person or another in the area with angels, let me know. Also, what are the thoughts on online purchasing? Anyone purchased angels repeatedly with success? I may need to move to another part of the forum...just let me know. Thanks.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I've had luck with aquabid, the guy I got mine off of on there sold under the nameTwisted_Fisher.

I've heard great things about Angelfish plus too

As far as locals, you could try pm'ing Ursi to see if she has any for sale