1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Scuds + Algae = No Algae

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by MasterBlue, Oct 1, 2010.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

:D
    I spent several paychecks trying to rid myself of bba and hair algae, but to no avail. I mean, a few hundred bucks and it still survived on my plants. I even went as far as to toss out all my java moss!

Well, I bought some scuds, which I have to house separately from my fish, who love to eat them, and with in one full day, they have eaten ALL the algae!!!

So, I figured I'd share that. Scuds- best investment I have ever made!!!

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I guess you didn't try peroxide huh ?

3. MasterBlue

I did. Remember. I killed everything BUT the algae. (look into my tiger tank link)

4. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

You didnt EI dose straight potassium sulfate did you? that kills BBA and HA dead in its tracks.
    I have to do this to the 210 when the plants get too long and slow down their growth, a shot of PotSul and BAM lots of new growth and algae disappears.

How did the H2o2 kill everything? did you dump it straight in or did you spot treat the algae? Sounds like you dumped it in cause I spot treat every now and then and nothing else dies but the spot i shot.

5. MasterBlue

Well, I did stop treatments, but I had alot of it so I may have used less if I dumped it in. But at any rate, I got scuds, the fish like them and then they got rid of the algae. win-win for me.