1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Sealing Shells For Fw

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Omega59, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Omega59

Omega59 Thread Starter New Member

I had asked this question on another forum, but did not get any response So i'am hoping to receive one here :)

I got some really nice clam shells from a saltwater tank, and I understand it will mess up my waters PH and possibly break down in the tank. So I was wondering if it is possible to seal it with something, and what would that be that is safe?

2. Aquaman_95

Aquaman_95 Moderator

They do sell aquarium glue in many petstores. And, it's readily available online. I would recommend emptying the shells first; and then gluing them back together.

3. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

You could always just cover them in an aquarium sealant, unless you have wild caught fish I wouldn't worry about it changing the PH enough to harm you fish.

4. Omega59

aquarium sealant, sounds like the right idea. do you know who makes them what to look for?

5. Aquaman_95

Aquaman_95 Moderator

6. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I wouldn't buy that expensive stuff go to walmart or any hardware store and buy GE Silicone I, it is the same thing for WAY less money Make SURE it is the GE I and not the GE II

7. Omega59

Thanks guys , so i just use a paint brush and paint it on a thin layer?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Aquaman_95

Aquaman_95 Moderator

Basically, you can use what ever you'd like, excluding harmful items to aquariums, to apply it. A paintbrush should be fine. Be sure to apply as directed though.

9. Omega59

Aquaman_95 thanks I'm going to grab a tube this week when I'am off from work and give it a try. I can post how it goes.. this is like a mini-project lol.

10. Philsy

Philsy Member

I'm not sure how silicone would look on it, I would try the liquid glue they have for coral frags or seal it with epoxy and soak it in saltwater for a week to pull out any toxins

11. Aquaman_95

Aquaman_95 Moderator

Okay, you'll have to show us how it goes! :)

That would be a great suggestion, as well :)

12. sccichlids

sccichlids Member

the clam shells won't mess up you tank. they will break down slowly due to acids building (ph drop) up in the tank. the shells are calcium and will help to keep the ph up.