1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

sick fish -- need suggestions

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by smcpherson25, May 19, 2010.

1. smcpherson25

smcpherson25 Thread Starter New Member

ok i have a 125 gallon 6ft long aquarium with a grammodes, friedrichsthalii, jack dempsey, green terror (gold saum) and a convict. i had a red devil in there with them for over a year but recently he became very aggressive towards the GT so i moved him to a 55gallon by himself. It has been in the 55 gallon for about five weeks. After two weeks i cleaned the tank. scrubbed the glass, vaccumed the gravel, cleaned out the filter, decor, ect. filled the tank back up put in the water conditioner and he was fine for the next three weeks, eating reguarly, swimming all around the tank, if you put your finger up to the glass he'd try to bite you, just really active. Anyways.... after about 3weeks later from the 1st water change i cleaned the tank again and did everything the same way i always clean my tanks, but this time the next day i noticed he was very inactive, he just sits at the bottom of the tank in the corner and has been pretty much just sitting in the corner for the last four days. Last night it started splashing water all over the place out of nowhere. im really concerned about my fish's health. i really like this fish and would like to do anything i can to try and help it cuz it seems like it is getting worse :(

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

what's the water parameters and are they constant or is there fluctuation?

Have you added/dosed with anything different (incl food)?

3. smcpherson25

i did everything the same as everytime i have ever cleaned my tanks. the only thing i put in there is aqua safe for tap water

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

We understand that but to know what's going on we really need to know your water parameters.

5. smcpherson25

the tank temp is between 77 and 79 degrees, whisper ex70 filter 340gph, zoo med power sweep powerhead 270gph, i dont know about the Ph, normal tap water is usually about the same i would think? its never been a problem before, ive used the same water for over a year

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

We really need pH, nitrate, nitrite and ammonia reading. You said you cleaned both the gravel and filter. It could be you caused your tank to cycle and ammonia buildup is causing problems.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yep yep, need those parameters to know what's truly going on there.
    mini cycle is sounding like a probable cause (did you clean the filter in a pan of tank water, or simply water from the faucet)?

8. smcpherson25

just normal water

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

mini cycle, but without actual test readings one will never be 100% sure.
    normal water removes the beneficial bacteria, always rinse that stuff in a bucket of your tank water (when your siphoning save yourself a bucket of the dirty water to immediately set that stuff into and swish it about in the bucket...rinsing it in there..can even use a brand new toothbrush if it's really grimey).

10. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

i agree with dawn and anthony...sounds like your tank is going through a mini cycle and getting the tank water tested will tell us if it is/isn't. if you don't have a test kit then you can take a sample of the tank water to your local fish store and they should test it for you. until you get the water tested, i would suggest doing about 50% water change daily, that way if it is a mini cycle it'll help to keep the ammonia level from getting too dangerous/critical for your fish.

11. smcpherson25

hey i think you guys were right, i did some water changes and put some pH stabilizer and some nitrate and phosphate reducer and he is getting better, hes eating again and moving the rocks around the tank again, thanks for the help!

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

glad he's getting better, but I recommend getting yourself a freshwater test kit. Api has a master one which you can score online for under $25 usually.

And remember every time you put water into the tank always dose it for the entire tank volume with a quality baddy remover such as Seachem's Prime.

13. smcpherson25

thanks, i'll look into getting some