1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Sponge Filters

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by WhiteGloveAquatics, Jan 26, 2011.

1. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics Thread Starter New Member

Does anyone know if there is a CFM rating on sponge filters? mainly the hydor model 4.
    Building a discus breeding room in my basement and need to power a minimum of 6 hydor 4's possibly 8 at the least. I plan on using a PVC DIY air log manifold but am unsure if I can overpower the sponges or not with a larger luft pump.

Thank you.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I personally couldn't see it hurting (over aerating them)...if that's even possible being it's a sponge?
    the worst case I'd tink would be trouble getting it to stay on the bottom from the increased aeration.

I have the small one in the 20L powered by a whisper 30-60 at full blast (know that info isn't helping, but just saying).
    And NO I couldn't personally find the info you were looking for, but can do ya one better by giving you their contact information.

Hydor
    and-->

3. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics Thread Starter New Member

I shot em off an email yesterday afternoon and aint heard back yet so we'll see what they say.

I just know if too much air is going to them and they plug up or a kink in the line happens you best be having a pressure relief valve on the air manifold or else its a mess.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

maybe give 'em a ring...specially if your in a rush to get everything up and running.

5. Jeff W

Jeff W New Member

I just ran a bleeder valve off the end of my manifold. It took care of having to much air. Then i just started buying more tanks to use up the extra air. Well thats what i told my wife. Then I switched over to a AP - 60 pond pump and I am running 52 sponges with a little air to spare.