1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Starter Kit (question/help)

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Anonymous, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

You guys are going to be so sick of me....

Ok, so NOW I want to start saltwater, because obviously they are prettier / more fun / more options / my daugher thinks all clown fish are "MEEE-MOO" So here are my questions..

1. Can I buy the prepackaged "kits" that are used for freshwater for say, a 15g to start (cause I dont want to blow it) and then get the other things you would need such as the live sand, rock etc. to supplement instead of having to buy everything separate?

2. What fish would you recommend (probably just 2) to start with?

I'm sure I'll be back with more. Thanks for putting up with me!

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

it's always cheaper to buy those that are getting out of hobby. save time, trouble and money. that's the best thing to do.
    there is a lot of poeple in LA that sell biocube. those are best when your going to set up a small tank. for a complete set up of a biocube should run u about $500 top and that's complete up and running and even extra stuff such as pump, light, bulb etc...

anything else u like to know just ask. and good to have u here.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

personal I would go with a bigger tank for it get you more leniency if you mess up. If I was going to be my first saltwater set up I would go with at lest a 50 gallon tank, then do a DIY 20 gallon sump so you have more like 60 to 70 gallons of water.

That would help keep the water more balance then a little 12 gallon.

as for fish If you want just 2 I would go with two clown fish.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

small tanks will be a nightmare when it comes to saltwater...their is alot to them also. If you don't have a fair amount of time to dedicate to testing and maintaining the parameters I'd recommend to stay clear.

I had a 55g and know whats involved from a parental point and it was alot of attention until you achieved the proper balance. As writer said, bigger is defin. better!

Also, "good" equipment can add up quickly!

Aquarium, Heater, Substrate & Live Rock, Salt Mix, Refractometer, Test Kits, Filter, Thermometer, Net, High Lighting, protein skimmer, ro water, uv...blah blah blah

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

You know, I think I am going to a different store... obviously the guys at the one I have been going to don't really know what they are talking about. Thanks again guys, I thinnk we really want to go with a big tank, like 75g+. Like I said, we are home searching now, so it will be hopefully in the next 3 months or so.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

try your local craiglist, pennysaver, thrift store, ebay, aquabid.
    When I had mine I bought it in bits and pieces in order to get excellent equipment. IT was much more affordable buying say a protein pump 1 month, etc. etc. etc.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I do what dawn says, then in a 55 gallon tank you can have a colony of clown fish.