1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Stressed Fish

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by jrow8162, Mar 3, 2010.

1. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

Hey guys! I have a fish that appears to be extremely stressed out. It is one of my blue Discus. I just got it last sunday. There are 5 Discus total in this tank. I've seen one of my other Discus chase this one. Now its lost its color. Almost black. Quit eating and hides out in the back of the tank where the bubble wall is. Fins look good. Has a spot on its side that looks more like an injury than fungus or ich. My question is, would it be safe to move this fish to my quarantine tank? When it does move it starts to get color back but then goes right back to the back of the tank..

Water Parameters:

Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - Between 3-5
    PH - 7.0

2. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Id seperate it, just for its well being.

3. jrow8162

Thats what I was thinking but wanted to get majority opinion. The other one I got Sunday hasnt lost color but it kind of hangs at the top and doesnt do much swimming. Still eats a little bit but not like the others. I may move them both. Problem is I have two more coming on Sunday that will need to go into this QT tank.

I need to get more tanks:)

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yea, it looks like you'll need to remove it (don't count on being able to readd it later)...and you might end up simply having to remove the one that is picking on it...because once you remove this fish it might go after another one. (dominance-establishing pecking order)

5. jrow8162

The other one I got on Sunday is hanging at the top of the water. Moves when I stick my hand in to feed them. Even eats occasionally. Just not like the others. It still has its color. Both are the fish I got from Azalea Aquariums. The Hans Discus. Should I move that one too or see how it does?

6. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Were they quarantined?

Rick

7. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Jrow, when in doubt just do it. I dont know discus yet as I havnt bought mine yet (3 more weeks) but I keep angels and when they act weird I segregate and observe, try a blackwater QT tank, not the low ph and stuff but the tannins for destressing.

8. jrow8162

I have driftwood in this tank. The QT tank is bare bottom. I'm gonna see how the blue one does in the QT tank. I'm watching the other red one now and its swimming around. Just doesnt look right. If its still acting funny tomorrow I will move that one too! Blue one is still floating in the bag. I will update you shortly...

9. jrow8162

Guess who's color came back!!!! :) Swimming like crazy in the QT tank. Now I just have to figure out what to do with it. I have a 50 gal with a really aggressive Discus in it. Might see how it does with the others and move the weaker fish in there...

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

from what I've learned one out of the group will be the runt (or picked on one).

If your having issues with more than 1 I'd be contacting the person you purchased them from (as I wouldn't want to suggest something then them say why didn't you contact me...I woulda did this or that)....and glad to hear the colors back!

11. jrow8162

Its not all the way back but its better. I'm gonna keep the tank blacked out a few days. I do see it eating though. Still wants to sit in the corner. I've been looking at these discus in the store for a few weeks. He gave me a receipt with a 7 day guarantee on the fish. I have until sunday to bring them back dead or alive.

My last two fish from Skoolz came in yesterday. I will pick those up on Sunday. The two I got last week are doing great!

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

might wanna get the nitrates lowered a bit...assuming 3-5 means 30-50ppm (I'm go back and forth between 10-15), and glad to hear your getting your replacements :)

13. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

im not sure with discus but i might help if you add more structures for the fish to swim/run/hide behind if need be.

i have the same problem with my africans, once i added more hiding places the aggresion backed down and things got more friendly, but be aware, when the hiding places were first established there was some fighting going on to clame who has which corner or what not.

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

with discus it's usually roots they hide behind/between, tall wavy plants such as vals, and mine love the pleco cave that has a piece of slate laid over them to create a den.

15. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

mine LOVED that big plant i had, to bad it did not make it :/

i dont see you guys obsession with discus, there so abnormal and always look like there just standing around. i finally saw one at the new LPS i found the other day and i must say they are some good looking fish even tho they look like big silver dollars floating around........

haha, they are some good looking fish tho, i just think the shape of them is funny.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I think I'm in love with my red scribbled one (Hans discus)...this fish is so freaking gorgeous ...all you can do is sit and stare :)

17. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

haha, that guys fish store that i went to had chairs in front of some of his tanks and it was AWESOME!!!!!! i had to spend a good hour in there.

yea he had 1 discus in the store and it seemed to attract alot of people to it.

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

chairs..in a fish store?!?
    All I'd need is a cot and I'd move in!
    Love looking at the fish...and in a fish store I wouldn't have to do the upkeep or expense (double win).

19. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

so true!!!!

yea his place was awesome, i wanna think he even had a loft in the back to act as a regular living room to get away from the fish for alittle while. had a few dark rooms with nice bright salt water set ups going, a 250g had a bar on it, told my buddy if it served beer i might not ever leave. very relaxing. i gotta take pics next time i go there.

20. jrow8162

Still having issues with this fish. Its still alive. Appears to be eating in the QT tank. Lights are out, temp is 86, and the fish is swimming but still won't color back up. No signs of Ich, fungus, or any other bacterial infection. I pick up my last 2 replacements from Skoolz on Sunday. I dont want to put them in the tank with this fish.

I have a larger Discus in a 50 gallon tank. It was really aggressive the last time I tried to add another Discus to that tank. I have 4 in the 55 gallon tank. Do you think the bigger one will do ok with the other Discus if I try to move it? I dont want to create anymore problems but that would free the 50 gallon up for this Blue one that is really stressed.