1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

tank placement with question about how to run plugs/adapters

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

I need an idea
    Ok. I am suppost to be getting a 10 gal tank. well the problem is the way the room is set up i cant just put it up. there are no plugs anywhere close to where i want it to go. And i can not just move stuff around because it is way to heavy. I need a idea to get plugs close to it.

2. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

Re: I need an idea

the only way would be with extension cords. but that's my opinion.

3. Leslie

i thought about that but then what type of cord? I cant use the power cord with mutiplu plugs cause it is 2 short. I have to find one to reach from basicly one side of the room to the other. like the width of a queen size bed.

4. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

they have longer ones at home depot...

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

extension cord to a power strip.

6. Leslie

which one would work better??

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

use them together that way you get way more plug ins for your tank!

8. Leslie

I actully think i have a cord long enought. i just dont want to burn my house down in the middle of the night.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I think your good if the cord is an orange heavy duty extension cord and its a well made power strip. I would never ever plug a power strip into another power strip though, thats just me.

10. Leslie

i think the orange one would be to long.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

you can usually buy them at wally world in different sizes.

12. Leslie

ill have to look next time i go.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

They make them in different lengths and colors. Just get a heavy duty cord and power strip.

14. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

Orange is ugly, but as Christmas comes closer you'll find them in green, white and brown for holiday lighting.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I guess someone should open a company that makes pink, blue, red, purple, and all the other colors of the rainbow for all you people who dont like to look at an orange extension cord.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I agree with the orange heavy duty ones (3-prongs that are grounded)...in addition to using a power strip. You can even find them at Wal-mart...and if your wanting to plug in high voltage items such as 260 watt lights or something in that order I would use a power strip for computers with a high joules (or however you spell it) rate that basically promises that it will not burn your house down..Lol!
    Just make sure the outlet your plugging this all into is a surge protected one!

17. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Tank Placement (Information, Questions, Suggestions)

So my wife and I are looking for a new house. We are a few months off from that big jump into home ownership. All of the sudden she is griping about how she now hates the huge tank in the living room and does not want to deal with it. She is somewhat willing to keep it but prefers if it were to be somewhere else along with the other tanks.

The issue is I want a large tank in the living room (I am actually somewhat interested before the move of stepping up to a 150) but she hates that idea :roll:

She now says that she hates the tank because it is a monster and she hates where it is and now we cant move it. We have to kind of work around the tank when moving our living room around and I think that is what bothers her is that feeling it is stuck where it is.

So the tank is on a homemade/tall stand so I dont trust entirely sliding it on the floor nor is it really an option to lift it (empty is over 200lbs and filled is over 1400lbs) Even draining it down partially is still VERY heavy (100lbs of sand plus the 200lbs of tank and whatever water I move it with.

The question is how can this thing be moved to another side of the room and do you know any websites that help with "feng shui" in a house as she is all into that?

---Edit---

Oh and now we have carpet in the living room.

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Tank Placement

The only say I can think of to move that tank is to drain it as much as you can to be able to lift each end up to put a small dolly under it.

As for your wife, how about <a class="postlink" href="http://www.fengshuicrazy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fengshuicrazy.com/</a> ? LoL Not that I'm implying your wife is crazy at all...

19. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

:)

You think it can move that way... drained down this one is still like 700-900lbs. I am a short scrawny guy, no way I can lift that. The 200lb empty weight is almost past my limits.... I may need to invite a few friends over for "dinner" :)

20. James0816

James0816 New Member

Unfortunately tanks this size are a beast to move. The only real way to do it is to completely break it down. However....as a side thought, this is of course not knowing how well the stand is constructed, once you empty as much as you can from it, you could try using sometype of spade tip pry bar to lift it up and place a creeper under it. Do the same for the other side. I have a homemade one and it was worked miracles in prying up extremely heavy furnishings.