1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Tattoo Fish Cool or Cruel?

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by eeyipes, Jul 5, 2008.

1. eeyipes

eeyipes Thread Starter New Member

Tattoo Fish Cool or Cruel?
    awww.underwatertimes.com_news2_tattooed_fish.jpg

Cool or Cruel?

Fish are tattooed with a laser with polka dots, hearts and more.

Personally, I think it's disgusting.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Wow, I've never seen fish dying like that before! It's absolutely horrible! I wish more people know what these fish were subjected to to make them look like that. Maybe then people wouldn't buy them, hopefully at least.

3. eeyipes

eeyipes Thread Starter New Member

Supposedly they never leave the water and the process only takes seconds, but still. Poor thing.

4. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Aw poor guy

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It's like these guys. Dyed fish have to be stripped of their protective coating for the dye to adhere to their bodies. If the type you showed really is done with a laser I'm not sure how that works. Cruel none the less.

[​IMG]

I used added an article in the Knowledge Base area. I meant to before but forgot all about it.

Dyed, Tattooed, Ornamental Aquarium Fish

6. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Parrot fish are the most common fish I've seen dyed

7. dig317537

dig317537 New Member

thats sick and so is genetically modified fish
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    FiReR@T Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:03 pm I personely do not like dyed or tattooed or even heavily hormoned fish, I think it takes away from the natural beauty of the fish.

Anthony Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:08 pm Agreed

CarMadMike Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:20 pm Im against it, Fish are nice looking, why would you want to wreck it by putting a tattoo on them.

fishman9809 Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:17 pm not sure u guys know, but they started to tattoo amano shrimp now.

Anthony Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:44 pm Didn't know that. Wonder what "technique" they came up with for that. :confused:

FiReR@T Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:52 pm Anything to make a buck I guess! :|

Anthony Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:54 pm Seems that way.

CarMadMike Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:30 am I cant imagine this industry to be too big. is it?

noshow discus Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:15 pm dont relly know why anyone would want dyed or tattooed fish period

Anthony Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:20 pm I find that the fish are sold to people who don't know the process these fish go through to look the way they do.

YellowCichlid Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:11 am There are some natural occuring very bright fish. I've seen them at a pet store once. I can't remember exactly what they were but they looked similar to danios.

CarMadMike Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:37 pm Anthony wrote:
    I find that the fish are sold to people who don't know the process these fish go through to look the way they do.
    CarMadMike replies:Thats a good point actually

0828dawn Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:56 am definately cruel! :evil:

Leslie Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:50 pm the next thing that they will come out with is design your own fish... like for vday and stuff. people will be buying them left and right.

crazhrse Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:09 am the tattoing is actually not that bad,i have seen an article on it but still i would never help promote it by buying one
    but what is sad is the heart shaped parrots where they actually cut their tails off and if you watch these guy's swimming they can't even keep balance or stay straight

trajik ink Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:59 am tattooing is my passion, but on a fish? it's just plain cruel.

se1an Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:10 am thats messed up how do they know if the fish likes it or not how about i put them in a fairy costume and see who they like it.

crazedpuffer Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:38 pm Petco won't sell fish that are dyed or tattooed
    It's such a terrible thing dying and/or tattooing fish, should become illegal if you ask me.
    Thankfully most places (not just Petco) no longer sell them!

Wee-Bay Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:54 pm crazedpuffer wrote:
    Petco won't sell fish that are dyed or tattooed
    It's such a terrible thing dying and/or tattooing fish, should become illegal if you ask me.

Wee-Bay replies:I disagree my petco has neon pink, orange, and i think green danios for sale as I type this.

Anthony Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:57 pm I'm not 100% sure if they are the same or not but at a LFS in NH they sell neon yellow and orange fish, they're smaller that aren't dyed. They look like they are but I asked several employees there and they told me they were natural, that they don't sell dyed fish.

fishfirst Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:58 pm they are not colored they are a cross of coral and zebra fish, but still i think it is cruel to play god like that.

crazedpuffer Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:03 pm uncwnells wrote:
    I disagree my petco has neon pink, orange, and i think green danios for sale as I type this.

crazed puffer wrote: Petco won't sell fish that are dyed or tattooed

crazed puffer replied to uncwnells:They are Glofish, they were injected with a jellyfish gene so they would change colors when water quality was bad. The gene ended up becoming dominant though causing those flashy colors you see. It doesn't affect there health or life span at all, and the genee passes on to the offspring.
    For a while Petco wouldn't sell the green because they were getting the gene injected into them, now I believe all of the fish are descendants from the original fish who had it injected into them

Wee-Bay Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:05 pm O so its ok to inject jellyfish dye into a fish and sell it? It isnt right, its all the same in my book, Disgusting.

crazedpuffer Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:55 pm morally no, but it's much safer to the fish (compared to dying and tatooing) and the ones sold aren't injected so it's not nearly as bad as the tattooed fish who have to sufffer through that process and shortened life spans and all that not fun stuff