1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Tiger Barb Tank Mates?

Discussion in 'Cyprinid Fish' started by toxxxic.kitten, Sep 7, 2011.

1. toxxxic.kitten

toxxxic.kitten Thread Starter New Member

I was specifically looking up information on what exactly would make good tank mates for Tiger Barbs. I had found one thread from google on here, but the question was never answered and the person seems to have been banned. I have 6 Tiger Barbs in a 12 gallon tank which measures: 20" x 10" x 15"

I've read I could have Red Tailed Shark, Bala Shark, Corys, Kuhlis, Rainbow Shark, Neon Tetras...I would just like a list narrowed down in one place and be able to make my choices. I'd like to have something that would eat all the food that doesn't get eaten. I would also like to add something more colorful to the tank as well.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Sadly with 12 Tiger Barbs in that tank it's pretty stocked, if not overstocked (Adult size).

You could add some kuhlis without an issue since they're bottom dwellers.

3. toxxxic.kitten

I have SIX Tiger Barbs in a TWELVE GALLON tank. ;)

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yes...

5. toxxxic.kitten

You said I had 12 Tiger Barbs in the tank...or were you suggesting I get 6 more? I iz a bit confuzzled. afc09.deviantart.net_fs38_f_2008_318_3_6_Confused___emoticon_by_kisutzuitari002.gif

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh sorry, I just got confused myself. I meant with the 6 it's pushing your stocking limit.

7. toxxxic.kitten

Really? =\ What bottom dweller(s) besides a Kuhli could I place in it?

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

For a 12 gallon tank you're already pretty full with the 6 barbs taking into consideration their adult size, BUT there's definately room to play with IF your considering "bottom dwellers."

With Tiger barbs being active and sometimes nippy/aggressive you'll definately need to provide some sort of cover that the barbs can't get into (ie. cave...slate/rock slanted..maybe cholla).

I wouldn't suggest neon tetras, you'll run into a compatiblity issue...and once neon tetras become stressed you'll deal with nasties like ich= NOT FUN!

Wouldn't recommend the redtail shark or bala either due to their adult size. Redtails CAN get 6" and the bala's can reach 12" which is definately too big for a tank of that size.

I'm a fan of cherry barbs & serpae tetras for color (bloodfins look impressive mixed with tiger barbs too), but then you'd need to upgrade to mix anything else to at least a 20g...so here's what you could choose from-->
    1) Kuhlii's have color>are peaceful>active mainly at night>BUT will definately need cover...I have a pretty nice school of them and think they're pretty cool WHEN they decide to actually show themselves. Ps. I've noticed they love to play during the night hours where the "lunar light" is focused.- BOTTOM LEVEL
    2) Upside down catfish- TOP LEVEL
    3) Corydoras Catfish -BOTTOM LEVEL..if wanting color try lazer lines
    4) Zebra Danios- TOP LEVEL

• Like Like x 1
  9. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

6 tiger Barbs in a 12 gallon is doable, yes, but not advisable and definitely no more stock from any level of the tank should be added. Have you ever heard of AQAdvisor? Here's a link, you put in your tank size then pick the fish you have and it tells you your stocking level, water change schedule and so on. http://www.aqadvisor.com/