1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

time it takes for a bio-wheel to mature in established tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by B Haley, Oct 24, 2009.

1. B Haley

B Haley Thread Starter New Member

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:24 pm
    I am trying to jumpstart my 75g so I added a biowheel 400 to my 60g to get it going, how long will it take the biowheel to mature in an established tank? Thanks!

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:19 pm
    I dont have the answer to that but if I use an established tank to prime a filter I usually leave the new filter on the established tank fro 4 days to a week before putting the filter on the new tank...

3. B Haley

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:42 pm
    Ok, Thanks Lemon! I can leave it on for a couple of weeks yet as I still have to get the substrate in the tank and planted.

4. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:11 pm
    The short answers is there is no definant answer,
    It really depends on the bio-load in the tank.
    The longer you leave it in the better

Rick

5. B Haley

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:03 pm
    I now have 11 of the clowns, they are all in the 60g and because of that huge increase in the bioload I have to do waterchanges every 3 days, so getting these guys in their own tank is a big concern, but once they are in their own tank, they will be in loach heaven! This is why I have not been around much...research, research and more research.... this tank is going to be as close to their natural habitat as I can possibly get.

6. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:34 pm
    With clowns I would wait as long as possible they're kind of picky about water quality and with a new tank there no bio-mass in the tank so you're dependent on the filter to be well seeded and mature.

Rick

7. B Haley

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:01 pm
    Thanks Rick, I still have a bit before I can fill and put the filter on and I am going to add some other fish first so the bioload builds up, then the other fish will go back to another tank and the clowns will go into the big tank.