1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Treatment Question

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by jrow8162, Aug 10, 2009.

1. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

Hey guys! Just bought some new Swordtails from the LFS and have been treating Fungus for the past two days. It was bad so i'm using Erythromycin to treat the fungus. Just looked at one of the females and she looks like she has ich. My question is can I treat for both at the same time? I dont want to overdose the tank. I have the temp up to 86 which is where it stays. The ich just showed up today. Any suggestions? I have Quick Cure but like I said I dont want to overdose the tank.

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

You can do that... I have... its stressful to the fish but you can do multiple treatments at one time.

As a matter of fact, when you get new Discus it is recommended to treat them for several parasites, fungus and other nasties all at once in an elevated water temp.

3. jrow8162

Cool, I didnt want to over treat them but I dont want to lose them either. I have the lights out to keep the stress down and I checked the fish this morning and she still had it but I couldnt tell if it was as bad or not. If she still looks the same tonight I will start with a half dose of Quick Cure. I still have one more day of treatment for the fungus. I'm also doing a water change so that should help too.

4. LemonDiscus

I would not worry about lighting... keeping it off all day will cause stress.. Keep the lighting normal throughout treatment... (only turn off lighting when adding new fish to a tank when all the fish are skiddish)

5. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

I would only treat the fungus and keep the temp at 86-87 to treat the ich
    I also have to disagree with lemon about the lighting.....

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's what I would do too.

7. LemonDiscus

Keep in mind... when I give advice it is usually based around my experience which tends to be linked to one of the most picky fish to keep (discus)... I cant say I am right or wrong but take what I say with a grain of salt because my record with Discus is not that bad.... I ONLY give advice as to what I feel is accurate and dont to anything I question...

I still think that the lighting SHOULD NOT change! I agree with the elevated water temps as mentioned... I just strongly disagree with the diminished/null lighting! I feel that should stay regular... Pick what advice though you feel best as at the end of the day that is all that matters is that you made the right decisions... not what others think you should do (again my experience)

Sorry, hate to put it this way too... but at the end of the day you are concerned about a $3 at max swordtail... and I deal with $50+ Discus.... I am not rubbing in the prices but it does make you think and act different... also... again... I dont give advice I would not follow myself... take it how you may even though I may have 100 disagree with me!

8. jrow8162

Heat has worked for me in the past but doesnt seem to be working this time. I keep my tanks between 83 and 86 degrees at all times to avoid these situations. This one is at 86. She's got more ich on her tonight than she did this morning so I started with the quick cure. My last treatment for the fungus was tonight too after a 25% water change. I hate using the quick cure but it is a last resort at this point.

Thanks for all of the advice... I will let you know how it goes!

9. jrow8162

I went to check on my Swordtails this morning and the Male was missing. I looked under the substrate and he wasnt there. Looked to the left of the tank in the floor and there he was. When I went to pick him up he moved so I stuck him back in the tank, cleaned him off and now he's swimming around. He's looking pretty stressed. Wish me luck! I have put a plastic cover on the back of the tank to keep him from jumping out again...

10. LemonDiscus

Thats the problem with open top tanks.... I lost a few REALLY nice fish by them jumping out... I still keep my 30g QT tank open top... but all my other ones have hoods just in case for that reason...

Hope everything works out well with it!

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

<--glass canopies on EVERY tank I've ever owned.
    Some people use lighting diffuser from lowes too>>but imo I'd be leary with those squared openings.

12. jrow8162

My tank has a hood. It was just open in the back just enough for the fish to jump out. He is doing fine. I cleaned him off and put him in and within an hour he was swimming around like it never happened. I just did a 25% water change and added pimafix since I am still treating for fungus.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

don't feel bad, mine used to have those plastic strips that affix to the glass canopies...and the snails would always find a way out via the filter notch.
    Glad to hear he's doing well!
    Hopefully you'll see results soon on the pimafix add.

Ps. I did 60lb of tahitian moon sand on the 90g and the corydoras and bristlenoses are lovin it!

14. jrow8162

I've been treating ich and fungus at the same time. I got some really bad fish from the LFS this time. Their doing fine now so I think the treatment is working fine. Keeping my fingers crossed..

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sounds like you might need to find a new lfs (if all these "bad" fish are coming from the same place).

*fingers crossed for ya too*

16. jrow8162

My Cichlids have all been fine. A lot of my other community fish that I had were fine from there too. I just dont have luck buying swordtails there. I tried to get a few more from Pet Smart but they sold all of their freshwater fish. They are going all salt water...

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wow, and my petsmart doesn't even carry ANY saltwater fish (although they are carrying rockwork?).

18. jrow8162

They were selling fish for ridiculous prices too! African Cichlids, Raphael Cats, and a few SA Cichlids they had left. All were under 2 dollars. There's another Pet Smart i'm going to go to today. I dont know if they are all doing that but if so, I may take advantage of the prices.

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I know the ones in my area aren't...the only chain store here you can get saltys from is Petco

20. jrow8162

The female in my tank still has ich. I was half dosing with Quick cure and keeping the heat up. I finally put a full dose in tonight. I will do another water change tomorrow. Never knew 4 fish could make such a big mess in a 20 gallon tank without the carbon in it. Fish is still swimming and eating so i'm sure she will pull through. This has been a lot of trouble for a 3 dollar fish. Still treating fungus with Pimafix too.