1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Virginia Users?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by LemonDiscus, Sep 16, 2008.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Hi I am from Richmond Virginia. I have kept many different types of fish but prefer South American Cichlids.

I used to breed Oscars, however had a few issues with that (female committed suicide not to mention the wife disliked them).

Now I keep Discus tanks exclusively. My show tank is a 125 Gallon (ish) and contains 5 Discus, 3 Angels, Glo-Lite Tetras and Corydoras

How many of you all are into discus and/or live in VA?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Bunch of VA people, I am living in NC now, but used to live in Halifax, Va. There is one other person that I know keeps discus, his name is NoShowDiscus.

3. LemonDiscus

I figured I would take a moment and show off my Show Tank. This is my 125 gallon tank. I build the stand myself and as soon as I quit spending money on more discus I am going to build a nice hood.

The hood I have planed to build will have 4 florescent tubes (2 bright and 2 dimmer) and some spot lights for accent (maybe if I have the few extra bucks to spend). I keep 1 half of my tank dimmer so I do not freak my discus out (the left side) and the other brighter (the right) as the right side has plants on it.

The dark part in the stand underneath the main tank is a quarantine/fry tank (10 gallons). I built it into the stand, well, because I could! ;)
    My show tank:
    View attachment afarm4.static.flickr.com_3149_2863111180_182cb01c35.jpg

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to the forum ! There are several of us from Virginia, I'm one of them. :D

5. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Hello there nice tank

6. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

heyas and welcome...i am in Va and probally not too far from you i live off of springfield road in Glen Allen and i am a discus keeper.
    here is my noshow tank.
    ai292.photobucket.com_albums_mm24_noshowdiscus_th_discus001.jpg
    ai292.photobucket.com_albums_mm24_noshowdiscus_th_discus004_1.jpg

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

HI! I am new to this site too. I live near Martinsville, VA. If you watch nascar you know where that is. I love your discus tank. I would love to have a tank full of those but I have heard they are very hard to keep. Do you have any problems with them? Are they really picky fish? lol. Thanks!

8. LemonDiscus

Noshow has many more than I. No they really are not as hard to keep as people say. You do have to keep attention to water quality, social order and other things going on in the tank. Plus 2 or 3 feedings a day are really good. If you like tending fish it is easy, if not, well I guess that would make you in the group that thinks discus are hard.

Martinsville you say! I know where that is, not only because I like NASCAR but also because I work for Colonial Downs. We have an OTB right by the track! I have been out there 1 time.... nice area.

That is the nice thing of my job, occassionally I get to go somewhere in VA I am not used to going..... for example 2 weeks ago I went to the eastern shore and over the CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel... a 16 mile long bridge full of freaking sea gulls the size of bricks hovering at windshield level)

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

LOL! I have been over that bridge too. I know what you mean. I live about 15 to 20 minutes away from Colonial Downs. I've never been there but my brother likes to go. I don't mind tending to my fish, I just have a problem driving an hour away to buy those expensive fish and then they not survive the drive home. I have to go to Roanoke or NC to buy fish. Do you think if I buy them at a lps they will be ok for an hour drive?

10. LemonDiscus

Yes.... they will be fine IF the fish are of a good quality. I am going to Lynchburg hopefully for some Discus and that is 2.5 hours from me..... Just keep the water stable in temp (ie: No AC)

Remember that they can ship discus overnight (UPS and FED EX) and arrive alive!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

SWEET!!!! Thanks for the info. I just might try it.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hi, it seems like there are several people from VA here! I am near Smith Mountain Lake but work in Roanoke. You mentioned going to Lynchburg to buy fish, which store do you go to? I love Pet & Aquatic Warehouse on Wards RD. They seem to have the healthiest fish of anyone else in the area. I will drive to Lynchburg for pet supplies even though I am in Roanoke 5 days a week.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

HI! You aren't far from me. I am on the other side of Rocky Mount. I don't go to Lynchburg. I usually go to Petland, Pet Smart, and Pet City in Roanoke for my fish. Danville has got a Pet smart, World of Pets and a Petco now so I think I am going there the next time I get fish. Petco just opened up there and they have some good looking fish that aren't too expensive. I would like to go to the places you go and check them out. I will have to look them up. Thanks!

14. LemonDiscus

In Lynchburg I know a Discus/Angelfish breeder there. Not really a store though.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Aquatic pet warehouse in Lynchburg buys from a private local breeder, it is probably him.. that is where my 4 angels came from. Small world.

16. LemonDiscus

That it is.... And it probably is him. He mostly deals with breeding Angels (easier and cheaper means more livestock) but his passion is on Discus. So he just uses the money from the angels to support his discus attachment!

I would not mind doing the same thing. Make a few bucks on my angels to buy more discus and spend more on my "show" tank.

17. littledane

littledane Member

Where is Aquatic pet warehouse in Lynchburg? I'll be heading to SML tomorrow night and would like to stop in and check it out on my way.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

It is on Wards Road, near the River Ridge Mall entrance off of Wards. If you google Aquatic Pet warehouse in Lynchburg it will show you a map.