1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

We Were Hacked!

Discussion in 'Site News / Feedback / Questions' started by Anthony, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazedpuffer

crazedpuffer New Member

Yay keep up the good work! [dancing] [dancing] ;)

2. Dox13

Dox13 Member

I only have 1 question. Did they get our e-mail address when they hacked into your system? Why I ask is because there is a Spider something going around and it can cause your hard drive to crash. My sister sent the e-mail to me, but don't remember the whole name of the virus. Anyone else hear anything about it?

3. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

No, they didn't hack the forum. They only got into my hosting account and changed my index.html file.

4. Dox13

Dox13 Member

Okay thanks Anthony.

5. gangstafish

gangstafish Member

The language is Middle Eastern. Iranian.Iraq,etc. Thats not good.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

maybe they want to secretly infiltrate our society through a fish forum, damn middle easterners! Why does that suddenly make them worse? A hacker is a hacker no matter where he or she is from.

7. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

I missed the hacking, darn. It's happened to me before. Whatever forum script you are using, always make sure it is up to date. Watch your permissions on config files, etc. Run a virus scan on borrowed images and files before you upload them. The ip address does not always mean anything, these can be faked. They often are not out to steal and corrupt your data, just replace the index.html in a sort of "head count" contest - to see who can corrupt the most websites in x amount of time. Once they learn how to exploit a forum script, they will hunt the web randomly looking for sites running that script version to hack.

8. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

The forum software is always updated the day an update it released. :D

Sorry you missed it. :)

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Id have to say the hack was pretty exciting. Made me laugh, it is too bad you missed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.