1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

weird stuff in aquarium ?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by ilovefish123, Jan 3, 2011.

1. ilovefish123

ilovefish123 Thread Starter New Member

over the past few days ive noticed in my fish tank theres a weird substance on the top of the water i cant explain it but its clear cant tell its there unless u but something in like ur finger then the substance moves away from your fingers its like oil or gas in water its sooo weird i have no clue what iit is does not seem to affect fish ive done water changes but it keeps coming bak HELP what can it bee?

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Could be numerous things...products added with lack of filtration/surface disturbance to fully dissolve them into the tank, cleaners used around the tank that got into the water, if it's in/near kitchen it can be things like grease that splashes..etc.

Try the simple stuff first.. increase suface agitation (power head/air stone), make sure the tank isn't open top and get/make a glass/plexi-glass top/canopy for it, test the water with a good liquid test kit (api, etc) and post your readings if you don't know what is normal/not.

3. ilovefish123

thanks ill try a few things :)

4. susankat

susankat Member

What kind of food are you feeding? I have found that some foods will leave an oily film on the top of the water if you don't have enough water movement.

5. ilovefish123

i know its not the food because even before i was feeding the fish it was there

6. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

My guess it is nothing harmful, increase surface agitation.

7. James0816

James0816 New Member

Sounds like biofilm to me. Perfectly normal for tanks that don't have much surface movement. Run an airstone for about 30 minutes or so. That should take care of it.